Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Urban exploration in Kansas
blindfire
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by blindfire »

Sunflower ammunition plant was closed in 1992. Thery burned most the buildings causing a spestis to grow. What ive heard is when they started to tear down all the stuff green ooze was coming out of the concrete. and grey dust. And workers had violent headaches and skin blisters. I went there and it was pretty torn up. It was really really cool though. tons of coyotes.

Last visited on 8/27/10. I'm Goin back soon for more photos and to explore more. ill ahve two photos up soon. Ask me anything you want to know about the plant anns ill try to answer your questions.
Attachments
more buildings
more buildings
Big building
Big building
little box car
little box car
sunflower 3.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 28355 times
Smoking area
Smoking area
some little houses
some little houses
smoke stacks
smoke stacks
machine shop
machine shop
Heating house
Heating house
Entrance i came in by the communication towers.
Entrance i came in by the communication towers.
cooling tank
cooling tank
control valves
control valves
control center
control center
Bomb Shelters
Bomb Shelters
Plant from above
Plant from above
Sign in one of the buildings. We found these signs in all the building usually by the time the siren went off you wouldn't of had time to get out of the building i heard from a source.
Sign in one of the buildings. We found these signs in all the building usually by the time the siren went off you wouldn't of had time to get out of the building i heard from a source.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Sweet!
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Sunflower Ammunition Plant

Post by VBJag »

I knew I had seen these pictures somewhere before.

http://scotthaefner.com/photos/place/Su ... lant/2321/

Second they haven't burned all the plant like you said they have in the other thread. I can't find any news article anywhere talking about it. Yes they've done controlled burns in the past but they just didn't burn the majority of the plant.

Obviously you're a fraud. So come clean. Are you a cop? I hope an undercover cop would at least spell correctly.

Dumbass.
blindfire
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by blindfire »

dude i know they havent. and dude i also know yes i did get those pics from him exept one. and fuck no im not a cop. why would some one try to catch kids on a fuckin website for abandond shit. they have bigger issues to worry about then some kids breaking in to some govt shit. and yes i have been there and no the burn didnt cause the spectist. it was the wall incilation shit they used. it like was flammable and shit.
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Fiend »

blindfire wrote: why would some one try to catch kids on a fuckin website for abandond shit. they have bigger issues to worry about then some kids breaking in to some govt shit.
You would be surprised....
blindfire
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by blindfire »

thats stupid, there making the plant into a huge park anyways..
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

blindfire wrote:dude i know they havent. and dude i also know yes i did get those pics from him exept one. and fuck no im not a cop. why would some one try to catch kids on a fuckin website for abandond shit. they have bigger issues to worry about then some kids breaking in to some govt shit. and yes i have been there and no the burn didnt cause the spectist. it was the wall incilation shit they used. it like was flammable and shit.
Sorry but can someone translate this into english for me? Thanks...
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Jags&Pointers wrote:
blindfire wrote:dude i know they havent. and dude i also know yes i did get those pics from him exept one. and fuck no im not a cop. why would some one try to catch kids on a fuckin website for abandond shit. they have bigger issues to worry about then some kids breaking in to some govt shit. and yes i have been there and no the burn didnt cause the spectist. it was the wall incilation shit they used. it like was flammable and shit.
Sorry but can someone translate this into english for me? Thanks...
I can probably do that. I read bad 9th grade essays all the time. But it's not really worth your time. Dude.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
VBJag
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by VBJag »

BROUSER wrote: I can probably do that. I read bad 9th grade essays all the time. But it's not really worth your time. Dude.
Ha I never wrote like that.

But this brings me to my next point
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by Scout »

If you get caught just tell the po-po that you're a wetback and they'll let you go immediately.
"That old hag hates my ass."
intrigurdbysunflower
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by intrigurdbysunflower »

I'm new to this site just joined today, I live in Lawrence and have a friend that actually lives in clearview city which was built for employees, my dad used to work there long before I was born, some of the things I was told, now understand that I really want to explore this vast area so bad its not even funny but according to my dad, the soil is contaminated with the likes of, mercury, lead, arsenic, cyanamide, and nitroglycerine was all used out there, and all sorts of other things. My dad told me this place is roughly 3 miles long and 4-5 miles deep, iiv pulled picture s off Google and asked him about this place and he said he would like to talk about it, there is still tons of activity, I would be least worried about getting caught, cause I would derb out, but arsenic, mercury, cyanamide and all the other stuff out there aint no joke, if there's any buildings you want identifoff send me an email with the pictures and ill ask my dad about them, he worked there for like 15 years and knows that place like the back of his hand. explore carefully, happy hunting
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

My friend and I have been exploring Sunflower a lot lately. Many of the buildings have been torn down, but you can find what is left on google maps. The area in the north that has a ton of identical looking buildings is boring, they're all changing houses, and empty. The old power-plant (3 smokestacks) is pretty cool, and there is some stuff in the warehouses just north of it. There aren't any hazardous chemicals (that we've found), but all the silver/grey tiles on the buildings are in fact made of asbestos. If you plan to explore the place a lot, I'd recommend getting a 3M 6000 series respirator with P100 particulate filters (cost around $15 online, are reusable, and work for dust, mold, asbestos, almost anything that isn't pure gas). Be careful as the place is patrolled by cops every so often. There are also a few farmers who have fields out there, so be sure to park somewhere hidden. It's by far the largest and most impressive place I've explored. If you go there, please don't start any fires, only take a few things from the warehouse, and don't get caught. I'll try to post pictures, I keep forgetting to take them when I'm out there.