Ward Spring House

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Ward Spring House

Post by jammer_smith »

This location is off of ward creek west of Campbell Ave, just downstream a bit from Ward Spring. The spring is flowing strongly right now. It's very scenic with the water cress on the surface and the blooming spring trees all around. It made for a very relaxing little exploration after work.

"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Re: Ward Spring House

Post by Twail Wetard »

Did you check out anything else over there? It's cool
THE THREAD KILLER!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I looked at some of the abandoned farm buildings. Nothing really caught my eye as being particularly photogenic.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Twail Wetard
The Clit Commander
The Clit Commander

Post by Twail Wetard »

Phoebe ward was the resident there unitl she died I guess. I know this because of some stuff left in the trailer. There is another barn in the back that had a tractor and an old car in it. But somebody's gone through it.
THE THREAD KILLER!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I didn't go in the trailer, but in one of theout buildings I did see an old mailbox with "Stone Ridge Farms" painted on the side. I guess that is probably what the farm was named back when it was a happening place.
psychoward
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Ward Spring House

Post by psychoward »

It's kind of errie to see a place on here that you grew up on and are the landowner of. Pisses me off. But, if nothing was stolen or damaged it's not so bad. How am I to know that someone saw my families farm on here and thought maybe they might rip me off? Please reply and I'll tell you a story or call Johney law on you. Make me feel at ease cause the buildings and property out here have been vandalized over the years, we now have friends and family watching so, tread lightly please.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I can't speak for everyone on the site, but everyone that is a regular seems to be against vandalism, and I highly doubt the picture of a spring is going to entice someone to steal from you. The last thing anyone is going to think seeing these pictures is that there is somebody living here, let alone someone that might have an item of value to their name.

Theft is up in the city with the prison being full and medicaid being cut down to near nothing in protest of Obamacare. Criminals have to compete to get a bed with doctor visits. Trespassing and some household trinkets isn't going to be a good enough crime to get them locked up instead of out in the wind on parole. If someone steals from you, it's probably the local meth heads, not some guy wandering around with a camera. And if the story is that you shoot at people, a lot of people do around here. :roll:
psychoward
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychoward »

Hmmmm, since I don't personally know anybody on here, ....... you just never can tell...... btw, it wasn't just a trinket or two, I've had over $35,000.00 worh of trinkets stolen. Years ago I had to do massive move to keep anything of value. You won't believe the things that are being stolen still to this day. also BTW, I had to tear down several buildings just to make the place less desirable to explore.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Wow that's a lot of theft. I actually live *somewhere that should not be described so precisely*. The crime this year has been horrible. They've caught three drug addicts I know about breaking into cars and houses stealing whatever they could. The worst one I looked up, she's been arrested 5 times this year, and she just now got thrown in prison instead of directly to parole. The crazy thing is that it wasn't from the $15,000 worth of stuff she stole just in her fifth time getting caught. It was from the fact they could show she forged a signature on a stolen check, making it a state level felony. Without that she would be on the street again. There's a lot of desperate people here and fewer than normal consequences if they get caught. I can believe that if anything was there that could be pawned off somewhere, they took it.
Last edited by RedRook on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
psychoward
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychoward »

After dealing with the county and city police on several issues it is very clear that property theft is not a major concern for them. I don't blame them, there is just too much "other" things that are a higher priority for them. It really sucks to be a mostly law abiding citizen these days
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

So what is the story of the place. Is your family the one that built around the spring originally? What type of farm was this? Just a generation ago, this wouldn't be nearly surrounded by development as it is now. Any plans for the future now that the city has about swallowed the place whole?
psychoward
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychoward »

Been in the family since 1837. At one time was 400 acres. Raised sheep, Beef and Dairy cattle, sold milk up until 1950’s. Creek was named after the family. The creek was “moved” by slaves so as to change the location that landowners to the south would have water on their property. Large house burned due to lightning strike in 1964 or 1965. Grandpa was saved by a passing motorist (story in Springfield paper). Large barn damaged and fell in due to bad roof, not repaired due to spending all of our time taking care of Grandmother Phoebe. There was a cemetery with one grave, the grave has been moved,, very very cool stone monument was marking it.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

welcome to the site, and thank you very much for the history of the property! That, and appreciating the historic and interesting landmarks of the area are more what this site is about. not saying those with ill intentions can't access this info, but like redrook says, the photos above are not likely to prompt a thief or indicate anything of (monetary) value there to be taken. dealing with the high rise of theft in the area sucks. we've seen it too up in the north part of the county, with several thousand dollars of property stolen from family recently. sheriff said they hit four houses that night alone.

but again, thank you for this history!
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Howdy, that is really really cool to have an actual property owner here. I mean, not cool if you want me arrested...but very cool to have someone who actually knows about the area. Sent you a PM.
psychoward
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by psychoward »

I should add to this that if anyone wants to check this out, let me know. I am not very forgiving of trespassers but am willing to meet with anyone that wants to explore a little.