Viceland : Abandoned series

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
mitts3000
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Viceland : Abandoned series

Post by mitts3000 »

I'm curious what folks on here think of the Viceland series called "Abandoned". Viceland is a Vice owned cable channel that is running the series. You can still watch the first episode for free though online.

The free episode they go to all the abandoned malls in Ohio. Great shots and what not but wow does it turn into just another terrible reality show by the end of the first episode.

I bring it up especially because the episode airing tonight is all St. Louis.

They go to Central High, and St. Liborious from what I can tell of the preview.

Anyway as much as I think its cheesy I still want to see the St. Louis episode.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Viceland : Abandoned series

Post by mindwaave »

mitts3000 wrote:I bring it up especially because the episode airing tonight is all St. Louis.
Yeah, a coworker told me about this. I like some of Vice's other documentaries, even if they can be a little avant-garde in their journalistic methodology. Maybe I'll catch a copy of the episode online sometime.
Preservation over plunder.
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Viceland : Abandoned series

Post by kokonutfreaks »

I think there's a new episode later tonight on Cleveland High.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Might be a decent watch. Looks like he's going to the schools and talking with alumni so that could be interesting to hear their reactions. I always like hearing from people who used to patronize whatever it is I've explored. But those Ohio malls are played the fuck out.. St Liborious was a target of mine for a while, until the skate park moved in. I'd still like to skate there sometime.

But I think, of all the larger buildings available, schools and malls are some of the most boring places to explore. I never bothered and don't plan to explore Cleveland or any of the other schools around here. Everyone's seen em already anyway. But it's better than having them going into some of the more sensitive/risky locations and blowing them to the general public on television. So Kudos to Viceland for not picking out the hard stuff. As long as they stick to the stuff that's not going to ruin spots for us and make it informative then I can dig it.

As far as things like this, I really liked the shows Cities of the Underworld and Off Limits. That Don Wildman guy has the perfect gig. Or did, I don't know if he still does those kind of shows.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

They need to get into this school, it's locked up, boarded up, and alarmed. Gotta called the owner to get in that one, which I keep saying I was going to do, but still haven't done.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
mitts3000
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Viceland : Abandoned series

Post by mitts3000 »

SubLunar wrote: Looks like he's going to the schools and talking with alumni so that could be interesting to hear their reactions. I always like hearing from people who used to patronize whatever it is I've explored.
I got to see it today. They did a lot of meeting with people that went to the schools. This episode was definitely better than the ghost hunter ohio mall silliness of the first episode.

Really great stories and well worth the watch.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Haven't seen it but don't have much desire to. The whole interview thing sounds dramatic and lame
aka "That Guy"
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Just went to Cleveland High School today. There is literally no fucking way to get in there.
mitts3000
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Viceland : Abandoned series

Post by mitts3000 »

kokonutfreaks wrote:Just went to Cleveland High School today. There is literally no fucking way to get in there.
My guess would be that after filming a TV show about exploring abandoned buildings that they did their best to board it up again.

It wasn't so straight forward how to get in before all this but it was open obviously.
Mike0032
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Mike0032 »

Nicotti wrote:They need to get into this school, it's locked up, boarded up, and alarmed. Gotta called the owner to get in that one, which I keep saying I was going to do, but still haven't done.
I dropped by a similar one the other day. Same thing.
Chain link fence. Boarded up. Two cameras that I saw.
ucitygal
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by ucitygal »

Nicotti wrote:They need to get into this school, it's locked up, boarded up, and alarmed. Gotta called the owner to get in that one, which I keep saying I was going to do, but still haven't done.
If it's what I think it is - It's being rehabbed.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

ucitygal wrote:
If it's what I think it is - It's being rehabbed.
Rock Spring School aka Providence Educational Center. Well Google Maps shows something. Is it what you think it is? And what's it being rehabbed in to?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6310284 ... 6?hl=en-US
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

So, there's a skatepark in a church in north StL?
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

crazydrummerdude wrote:So, there's a skatepark in a church in north StL?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Church-o ... 7035398140
ultimate lurker
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote:So, there's a skatepark in a church in north StL?
yeah dude. St Liborious. Previously, it was notoriously virgin. Noone seemed to have explored it. I/we? tried checking into it like 10 years ago but there was a food bank running out of the basement while an artist rented the main chapel area.