Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Do you carry while exploring?
View previous topic | View next topic  
copperhead
0-99 Poster
Member for: 1 year, 8 months0-99 Poster

Locations: Springfield
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I'm not trying to start a gun control debate, just interested. I personally carry a full size Smith & Wesson M&P 40 while on a UE. So does my girlfriend. I always carry a 4 inch Buck folding knife. If I'm on the river I'll bring along the 12 gauge or the .22lr Savage as well. If I'm going on a longer trip in a rural area I'll either bring that .22 or a 30-06 Savage 110 as well, along with a full size Kabar, but never somewhere where it'd cause people to be uncomfortable.
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Locations: St. Louis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: RE: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I have carried but I strongly advise caution. If you're clearly breaking the law to enter and you are caught with a gun, they will trump up your charges and you could be seriously fucked over.

I once got in a fight. I had a basic folding pocketknife in my pocket. They called it assault and unlawful use of a deadly weapon. Even though it never left my pocket. The unlawful use charge was dismissed but the point is they tried to stack up the charges to make it sound worse than it was. And you can be damned sure they'll do that if you have a gun.

The problem with guns and this hobby is if you get charged with a firearms related offense and it sticks, that can legally prevent you from obtaining/owning guns in the future. Even if it doesn't stick it can cause issues with sales. I used to work as a gun broker and I've done the ATF 4473 NICS check enough times to know how much of a hassle it can be.

BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Festus/Columbia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

Yeah.. carrying when you explore is a terrible idea. Just be street smart and don't get yourself into a sticky situation.
copperhead
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I meant like caves and tunnels and such. I'm a law abiding citizen when it comes to my firearms and I understand what a charge would do. I don't roam around breaking into abandoned buildings strapped.
mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

copperhead wrote:
I meant like caves and tunnels

I wouldn't recommend it, since those places often require the navigation of tight spaces, and things tend to get caught or slip-away from you.

Situational awareness and a knowledge of body language eliminate the need for a weapon 9.5 times outta 10.

copperhead
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

mindwaave wrote:
copperhead wrote:
I meant like caves and tunnels

I wouldn't recommend it, since those places often require the navigation of tight spaces, and things tend to get caught or slip-away from you.

Situational awareness and a knowledge of body language eliminate the need for a weapon 9.5 times outta 10.

I have never once had my handgun get caught or slip out of the hostler, and I carry it daily. Nice and snug, close to the body, and strapped in as it should be. Not like some idiot with a drop-leg or a cowboy rig.
Pepster
0-99 Poster
Member for: 3 years, 4 months0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I don't own a gun, much less an assortment of guns that would necessitate a rack.
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Locations: St. Louis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Locations: St. Louis Area

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I have enough guns to open a shop.

I have NEVER brought one exploring. Exploring, even caves and tunnels, almost always involves some degree of tresspassing. Bad idea, IMO.
RedRook
500+ Poster
Member for: 4 years, 3 months500+ Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: RE: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I think the biggest risk is being stopped by the Police. There's a good chance you'll talk your way out of it. That chance likely decreases dramatically if they notice a gun, and it likely decreases to zero if you've fired at someone. That is assuming you don't run into the trigger happy cop that pulls the trigger the second they find out you are armed.

Chances are you'll both know about each other before you actually see each other. Walking with your gun pulled as you come up on a cop is probably a bad scenario.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Locations: TAG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

I am confused as to why you feel a gun is needed for cave exploration.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Festus/Columbia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

Nicotti wrote:
I am confused as to why you feel a gun is needed for cave exploration.

Umm... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/

Headframe Hunters
0-99 Poster
Member for: 7 months, 22 days0-99 Poster

Locations: Rolla, MO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you carry while exploring? Reply with quote

Virtually always. Full-size 1911, if not a rifle (I spend a good bit of time on USFS and BLM land in New Mexico). However, my exploring is either on public land, or done with permission of the landowner. I've been finding out that exploring is 10x better when done through the proper channels- you'll learn things you never would have if the owner didn't know you had an interest in the site. I have been moving increasingly towards doing everything aboveboard - I get more out of the experience that way.

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1