Recommendations for new explorer?

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
Pdimag
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Recommendations for new explorer?

Post by Pdimag »

I'd like to start exploring and doing more interesting things with my photography? Any places I hit should visit? Thanks!
DLap
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Recommendations for new explorer?

Post by DLap »

come to the exploring meetup! this month it is on the 27th starting at the workhouse at 2pm
PM me if you need more details
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Recommendations for new explorer?

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Mines, if you like being underground. KC is full of the darned things.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

Headframe Hunters wrote:Mines, if you like being underground. KC is full of the darned things.
Man, I want to check one of these out but have no idea where to start. Any assistance?

I got plenty of buildings and locations, just no mines lol.

Anyone down to meetup? I missed the last one.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

4Valhal wrote:
Headframe Hunters wrote:Mines, if you like being underground. KC is full of the darned things.
Man, I want to check one of these out but have no idea where to start. Any assistance?

I got plenty of buildings and locations, just no mines lol.

Anyone down to meetup? I missed the last one.
The USGS' MRDS database is a good starting point. I tend to enter Missouri/stone crushed&broken/underground in the search fields and generate a Google Earth KML folder to display all placemarks over satellite imagery. Most of this data seems to be from the 1980s; as a result it is incomplete and sometimes inaccurate. I've been underground or otherwise confirmed the presence of underground workings at several mines listed as surface-only by MRDS.

MSHA's Mine Data Retrieval System is also useful; I use the extended search function to search by county and uncheck the setting to exclude abandoned mines. The locations are not very useful; MSHA just shows the county and the operating company's address, which is frequently an office in another city or state. MSHA data is better for confirming operators, abandonment dates, and mine names than outright locating sites.

The Missouri DNR also has a fair number of abandoned mine maps available on its website. The free versions are limited in size but useful for familiarizing yourself with the workings; large-format files can be purchased. I happen to know the program administrator for that one.

4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

Headframe Hunters wrote: The USGS' MRDS database is a good starting point. I tend to enter Missouri/stone crushed&broken/underground in the search fields and generate a Google Earth KML folder to display all placemarks over satellite imagery. Most of this data seems to be from the 1980s; as a result it is incomplete and sometimes inaccurate. I've been underground or otherwise confirmed the presence of underground workings at several mines listed as surface-only by MRDS.

MSHA's Mine Data Retrieval System is also useful; I use the extended search function to search by county and uncheck the setting to exclude abandoned mines. The locations are not very useful; MSHA just shows the county and the operating company's address, which is frequently an office in another city or state. MSHA data is better for confirming operators, abandonment dates, and mine names than outright locating sites.

The Missouri DNR also has a fair number of abandoned mine maps available on its website. The free versions are limited in size but useful for familiarizing yourself with the workings; large-format files can be purchased. I happen to know the program administrator for that one.
Thank you for the information. Guess I never thought there would be a database of abandoned mines. I'm sure cross examining those three sources can give you a gold mine (:P) of information.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

4Valhal wrote:
Headframe Hunters wrote: The USGS' MRDS database is a good starting point. I tend to enter Missouri/stone crushed&broken/underground in the search fields and generate a Google Earth KML folder to display all placemarks over satellite imagery. Most of this data seems to be from the 1980s; as a result it is incomplete and sometimes inaccurate. I've been underground or otherwise confirmed the presence of underground workings at several mines listed as surface-only by MRDS.

Thank you for the information. Guess I never thought there would be a database of abandoned mines. I'm sure cross examining those three sources can give you a gold mine (:P) of information.
Happy to help!
I spent the better part of a year looking for a good database; some states maintain them but restrict them to official users only to keep people like us from digging up the past.
Definitely cross-examine between sources. MRDS is sometimes incorrect or just out of date, and MSHA is only helpful for things worked after around 1978. The DNR's maps are excellent but limited in their coverage and biased towards coal. Do NOT mess with underground coal unless you have breathing apparatus, mine rescue training, and brass balls. Stay the hell away from that stuff; I know KC had quite a few underground coal mines nearby.

4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

I will definitely avoid the coal mines then. I'm still not 100% sure I have the tin balls enough to go deep into one. Run down tenements filled with crack heads? No problem. Empty abandoned mine? Ehhhh