View unanswered posts
Underground Ozarks ForumUnderground Ozarks Forum
Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?!
View previous topic | View next topic  
wildbill999
0-99 Poster
Member for: 6 months, 4 days0-99 Poster

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

Dear Admins: I know you want the English Cave stuff under other established posts but due to the serious nature of our little problem I am trying to give it it's own "tombstone" like space.

Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?!

In Benton Park we are having a huge crisis with the English Cave Community Garden and it is mostly of my own making as Co-Chair. In brief, every 5 years we are supposed to renew the lease with the LRA. Well, I and everyone else, plumb forgot so the LRA took it to mean we had abandoned the garden. And, without giving us a friendly, “What's up Jack?” they found a buyer (name or company kept confidential by the LRA) for it and have a active bid.

We found out Nov. 27th, 2017 and the LRA Board meeting is Dec. 6th at 8:30 a.m. That is when they vote on final acceptance of the bids. In 5 days before they post the agenda. Our local Alderman Dan Guenther, who also has a plot in the garden, is trying to make things right but it is not looking very good.

So, our 12 years of preserving this sacred cave/beer garden spot that was never built on; is being bought by someone who might not even know there is a active gardening project there. Plus, we are right in the middle of setting up a land trust for it. Totally feel kicked in the face.

I came here to vent, I cannot sleep, I am both angry/sobbing.
The LRA is largely immune to protesting and media action. So, I think it's more like sit back, grab a beer, popcorn and watch more St. Louis cave history disappear to the winds. So sorry Ezra, big time sorry, wish we could of got to know you better.

Bill Kranz, Garden Co-Chair
mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

Well shit.

I guess we could join you guys in solidarity on the 6th. Or, we could place a counterbid. According to this doc, we have until January 11th (or maybe very early December before the 6th) to submit our own bid on the property. We'd also need to assemble a project plan as part of the application. I've got an editable one right here on Google Drive.

wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

Mindwave,

I did ask during the phone call if we could submit a counter offer and their current offer is so hot to them the idea was dismissed.

I reported that fact to Alderman Guenther.
Would it be okay to email your info to Dan Guenther?

Thanks. Bill
wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

test
wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

The site is slated for final "vote" sale approval on Wed. Dec 6th at 8:30 a.m.
Address:
SLDC/LRA Offices at 1520 Market St., Suite 2000

The URL did not post and I have to get back to work but that day I will be there.

take care,
Bill
mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

I'll see if I can take a chunk of that morning off work.
wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

Mindwaave and other interested viewers:

The part of the Wednesday the 6th LRA meeting regarding the English Cave Community Garden has been delayed until the next LRA meeting in January. (Even though the LRA agenda has it listed that is only because our reprieve came after the agenda was typed up and posted.)

We can thank Alderman Dan Guenther for this delay which can only benefit the negotiation process. Will sanity prevail?

I want you to know that local gardening non-profit group Gateway Greening is trying to advance a plan to get several of the area's community gardens into a Land Trust plan. They are asking for monetary donations for the Land Trust. The garden in this posting is one of the top contenders to be in the Land Trust. The sooner we can launch this program the more positive leverage we would have with the LRA. Please consider a donation!!This is their phone number: Phone: (314) 588-9600

Thanks you for your attention and views!

Sincerely,
Bill Wink
Whitepanther
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

wildbill999 wrote:
Mindwaave and other interested viewers:

The part of the Wednesday the 6th LRA meeting regarding the English Cave Community Garden has been delayed until the next LRA meeting in January. (Even though the LRA agenda has it listed that is only because our reprieve came after the agenda was typed up and posted.)

We can thank Alderman Dan Guenther for this delay which can only benefit the negotiation process. Will sanity prevail?

I want you to know that local gardening non-profit group Gateway Greening is trying to advance a plan to get several of the area's community gardens into a Land Trust plan. They are asking for monetary donations for the Land Trust. The garden in this posting is one of the top contenders to be in the Land Trust. The sooner we can launch this program the more positive leverage we would have with the LRA. Please consider a donation!!This is their phone number: Phone: (314) 588-9600

Thanks you for your attention and views!

Sincerely,
Bill Wink

I really hope this works out in your favor. You've been on this journey for a lot longer than me. I was in kindergarten when you were taking a pick axe to a neighbor's basement and garage. That just show's longevity not age. I know this one's sacred to you and if the cave doesn't turn up you at least deserve to garden above it as far as I'm concerned. Please keep us posted.
wildbill999
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Death knell for English Cave Community Garden?!?! Reply with quote

Whitepanther:

Thanks for your comments! There are a lot of folks out there who have their own level of understanding/knowledge about this cave and I know you have done a lot of research about the "beast."
Hopefully we can right this wrong about the lease and we have until Jan 31st to convince the LRA staff of a better way forward.
I did go and met Dan Guenther along with Matt Schlindler and another Gateway Greening staff person whose name I did not remember. It is a interesting type of meeting because it can be brutal for some folks who get to testify about their project yet later it is denied and others get a more favorable outcome. It was not necessary for our team to comment as we had the suspension until January.
If there's any major changes I will post here.

Keep the faith!

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1