Exploring during the Winter?

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Exploring during the Winter?

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

Do any of you do it? I don't really get outside much this time of year, as it's really cold in KC. Although I do enjoy rail-grinding, even if it's during the winter. Anyway, do you explore this time of year? If so, when?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Exploring during the Winter?

Post by SubLunar »

Absolutely, all the time. Weather is rarely a factor in my exploring. In fact, inclement weather is sometimes the best time to go exploring (above ground anyway).

Too cold? No problem. Too hot? No problem.
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Exploring during the Winter?

Post by BacktotheFuture4Life »

Yeah. I guess it makes sense. I don't get out much this time of year. :P
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Exploring during the Winter?

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Coldest exploration that I know of was 5deg on SubLunars car thermometer. I was fine. My camera actually errored out and I lost the pictures.. I think because of the extreme cold.

It's a shame because that was the only time I was at that location and I believe it's gone now.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I do most of my exploring in the winter and had cameras malfunction and entirely stop working. I did an exploring road trip around New Years and it was getting pretty damn cold down to like -10F. I wear my insulated Carhartt overalls over my normal clothes, a balaclava, and a couple layers of thick socks. Will never get cold wearing that combo.

The biggest drawback I've found from exploring in the winter is the ice. Things that I could normally climb no problem are now significantly more dangerous. There were two buildings I visited on my road trip that were inaccessible because it was too icy to climb up to the point of entry
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I like exploring when it's cold enough not to get ticks but warm enough that my fingers aren't freezing in my gloves.

I did once fall through ice into deep water while exploring, so ice is definitely a winter hazard. (It was a well on the Hartford mansion grounds, there's the story and pics in that thread.)
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Cold never stopped me exploring anywhere; I just dress for the weather. Carhartt work clothing is great stuff. On my New Mexico mine-hunting trip two years ago, it was pleasant during the day, but bitter cold at night - high desert loses heat just as easily as it gains it.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/