How many abandoned churches are in St. Louis?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

How many abandoned churches are in St. Louis?

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Hey guys. I was just wondering if you guys know how many abandoned churches there are in St. Louis.

I know of 3, St. Augustine's, St. Marks, and another one with a green roof in North City. Are there anymore?

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: How many abandoned churches are in St. Louis?

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Oh, there are a bunch more, but no more Bethlehem.

Ever been in the #1 church?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Searchy the St Louis threads, you'll find bunches.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: How many abandoned churches are in St. Louis?

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah, those are the main ones right now.

Sometimes, you get lucky and come across one like this one that was covered in nothing but dust and spider webs. Had to get a little creative to get inside this one and was rewarded for the effort. Beautiful stained glass and woodwork throughout. I don't give a shit about the "house of God" aspect as much as the "nice historic old building" aspect. Kept it under wraps so no-one would fuck it up and fortunately it worked. It has since been sold and renovated. Bethany was actually a sibling of Bethlehem, having formed from the same congregation originally.

When it comes to cracking open new ones, it's best not to talk about them publicly. Because once word gets out, assholes do shit like this: http://fox2now.com/2016/05/31/suspects- ... by-police/

I had been eyeing up Eastern Star for a few years now. Kept checking in regularly. On more than one occasion, the groundskeeper was on site mowing the lawn. There was a boarded up window on the basement that I could have removed if I wanted to, but I figured I'd wait it out. Clearly the groundskeeper still gave enough of a shit to come out and mow the lawn regularly. I wasn't going to be the guy that broke into it. That's not how I operate anyway. Next thing I know, some stupid fuckheads covered it in paint. I ain't even gonna fuck with it now, have zero interest in it.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote:Ever been in the #1 church?
You might not be aware, but that one has been doable for a while now. I know the first time we went inside, we set off an alarm, but that was like 10 years ago. I went back and got in way back in July 2014. Since then it's gone downhill quite a bit already. Found a drumset inside, actually. Probably not there anymore:

kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: How many abandoned churches are in St. Louis?

Post by kokonutfreaks »

I went to the first church about 3 weeks ago. It smells so bad inside. And yup, the drum set isn't there anymore.