Cave Preservation Presentation

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
adventure418
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Cave Preservation Presentation

Post by adventure418 »

For my biology class I get to spend the semester researching a topic of my choice and OBVIOUSLY I chose caves. I want to focus on preserving them and keeping them from becoming vandalized, etc. I cave all the time for fun but I’ve never really looked into the other aspects of it. If anyone wants to PM and with ideas on what I should talk about go for it! I get to give a 30 minute educational presentation for my final.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Cave Preservation Presentation

Post by Nicotti »

Obviously, there's WNS.

But I think it would be more interesting to talk about how humans just exploring a cave can mess up a cave's ecosystem if the person isn't careful. Trash, stepping in the wrong place, or grabbing something one shouldn't, how the oils of our skin can damage cave growth (which may affect cave biology), how people can interrupt bat hibernation and mating.

How dumping trash/old junk in sinkholes is bad for cave biology and surface biology.

I don't know if it's too far into geology, but you could talk about cave restoration as well.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by gnomad1 »

Keep us posted adventure418
thisisntarobbery
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Cave Preservation Presentation

Post by thisisntarobbery »

I second Nicotti. Cave restoration is a good topic to hit on as it has it's own technique. Almost half science, liquid nails.

The fact that sinkholes/caves are an archaeological playground is good too. Not many know about what discoveries have been made just by sifting through the mud.
We went to different schools together.