Springfield Underground

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
colt45
Shiney Hiney
Shiney Hiney

Springfield Underground

Post by colt45 »

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that they had been smoothing out the top part of the underground,and that they where putting a shopping center on top of it. Has anyone heard of this??
There's no place like gnome
~Barracuda~
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

RE: Springfield Underground

Post by whipping_post »

Why would they smooth it out? I know that sounds silly to ask but I would think they would shore it up. Maybe that's why they're smoothing it?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
colt45
Shiney Hiney
Shiney Hiney

Post by colt45 »

I dont know i havent gone over there yet but my friend works over there and said they have been working there clearing it or something, and he asked his boss and his boss told him he hears they where putting a shopping center in there.
~Barracuda~
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

I can confirm they are putting a major shopping complex on top. Last July 4th when I was there for the I love America celebration just before the fireworks Springfield Underground had a 2 minute commercial about what their place was all about. Some awesome facts and seriously cool pictures they showed from down there and they mentioned how they were developing the part above ground.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Re: Springfield Underground

Post by dawgchain »

that sounds more like the story I read somewhere about building the above ground storage they wanted ot add.
----------This space for rent----------
colt45
Shiney Hiney
Shiney Hiney

Post by colt45 »

Ok cool.... so is it storage or shopping center?
~Barracuda~
bluecookies
Buckeye
Buckeye

Post by bluecookies »

as of July 2005 according to Springfield Underground it would be shopping
colt45
Shiney Hiney
Shiney Hiney

Post by colt45 »

ok cool thanks :D
~Barracuda~
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

WAL-MART has been in the plans for years. Corner of 65 and division
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

There's already a Wal-Mart at the NT Mall. Wouldn't a second one be kind of useless? As far as I know, there are no plans to close the NT Mall Wal-Mart. Also, it doesn't seem like a great idea to build a shopping center in that part of town... I mean, they've already got a whole mall there that nobody ever goes to. What's the point in erecting another one?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

I work on walmarts and there are bids on demoing the nt walmart. Trust me its comming. It is the north east ancher store. Its been in planning for at least 3 years. The reason the nt mall didnt make it is there are no ancher stores and there was or is, i never go there, a food store attached. People dont usualy food shop and Dillars or sears shop at the same time. Just look at battlefield mall, good ancher stores at every corner and how far is the nearest food store, i cant think of one for at least 2 miles. Just to qualify myself i have an urban georgphy minor. 8)
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

No offense Jesta, but I'm having a really hard time making heads or tails of what you just said. The NT Mall probably should be demolished, but the reason it "failed" was because the Battlefield Mall was built and everything started moving to the south side of town. I remember when the NT Mall was still quite popular. Also, there's a K-Mart directly across the street, but I can't think of any groceries nearby.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
Jesta
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Jesta »

Battlefield mall was there long before northtown, so besides being organized poorly it was located poorly. Also i believe where the walmart is at nt that used to be a food store. By the way no offense taken :mrgreen:
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Really? While both malls predate my existence and I cannot personally attest to this, I've always heard that the NT Mall was older.

BTW, anyone remember the "old" Battlefield Mall, back before the big remodelling? It was way more 70's, and instead of crappy kiosks it had these big elaborate gardens and skylights in the middle of the aisles. It was way nicer, IMO.
dawgchain
The Pumkin King
The Pumkin King

Post by dawgchain »

Ok, my parents used to have a shop at the NT mall, so I have inside info on it.

Wal-Mart owns the property that it resides on. Gumberg realties is the name. The reason it died down is because they refused to supply anything more then 2-3 years leases on the spaces after Wal-Mart expanded. All the larger business left because that wasn't good enough. They couldn't just close the mall down or people would throw a fit. So instead they did this and forced everyone out secretly. The Idea for a Wal-Mart at 65 was pitched but shelved, as well as turning the mall into a super center. There just isn't a need for one there.

Although a few months back, there was a meeting to discuss turning it into a facility for Prime Trucking. I don't remember what they planned on doing with it, but I do know they own most of the property to the north of it.
----------This space for rent----------