Camp Crowder, Neosho

Urban exploration in Missouri
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Camp Crowder, Neosho

Post by gimpface »

This is a small Army base near Neosho MO, it's deactivated and used by the Guard (and ROTC) for training. It's a pretty cool place... back in it's heyday, it housed 40,000 troops and had wonderful things like POW camps (I don't know if there are any remains left), missile testing bunkers (when the Air Force ran the place) and a rocket motor manufacturing plant.
I came here for a Boy Scout Camporall several years ago, and spent most of my time wandering around in the woods checking stuff out. It was pretty cool. We found an old farm with silo (of the non-missile variety, unfortunately) and a couple of dug in fighting positions with loopholes and whatnot. I came back a few years later when I was going to SMSU and involved with ROTC, and found some really cool stuff during the day land-nav portion (I wish to god I'd had the foresight to keep the topo) of the Fall FTX (Field Training Exercise). We found some abandoned RR tracks that weren't on the map, and decided to take a shortcut down the grade. After we'd been walking awhile (probably 20-30 minutes) we found a weird-ass building in a valley... It looked to me like a dam built into the side of the hill. I'm thinking it was a rocket motor testing site... the dam-like angle of the building was probably to defect a blast, and the valley location would keep shrapnel from going all over the place. Also, the rocket fuel was brought in by rail, so it was convieniently located. We went in (it wasn't locked or anything) but couldn't explore very far as it was pitch black and we didn't have any lights (an older cadet yelled at us to get rid of them before we left the barracks. Jerk.), but it was pretty cool nontheless. Here's a couple of links (including one of a map):

http://users.mo-net.com/racko/crowder_higherres.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... rowder.htm

Apparently it's sort of open to the public in winter, so it shouldn't be to much of a problem going there. Be aware that it is patrolled by private security forces, but they don't seem to venture too far from the roads.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Camp Crowder, Neosho

Post by White Rabbit »

I'd love to go see that while it's open to the public and put some of it on the site. Because there's no way in hell I would put proof online that I trespassed on a military base :P
TR146x
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TR146x »

It's now owned by Crowder College, you should be safe Rabbit. My great grandfather used to drive a bus for the camp. It went from Crowder to Joplin.
squadcar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Camp Crowder, Neosho

Post by squadcar »

My buddies and I explored the rocket testing area extensively back in the early 1980s. The dam-like structures (there are actually two of them) were indeed used for testing rocket engines. At the bottom of each launch pad was a control room -- gimpface, this is the building you entered. If you'd had a good flashlight and time to explore, you would soon have found a TUNNEL connecting the launch pad to a large main building. At the other end of this building there's a second tunnel which connects to the second launch pad.

I haven't been there in 20+ years, but back then there were a couple dozen other buildings (some of which were securely locked). I imagine the area still looks much the same as it did then. I'm sure I can remember how to find the place; I'll try to get out there soon and check it out.
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I've been back since then, but no tunnels were apparent from the lower level of the bunker... inside, it was pretty much empty. Now, there is a second level above where we entered that has been welded shut... is that what you were talking about? PM me with details. Also, where is the second bunker in relation to the one near the RR grade? We checked out various abandoned RR tracks and equipment in the area, and started walking down the road to another area, but that's about when security showed up and we had to make a break for it.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
clovenlife
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clovenlife »

the welded shut door is the entrance.
rick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by rick »

There are 4 underground levels under the concrete test stand hill. The lowest level is a huge room, (think gym size times 5) and contains big tanks that had about 4 inches of ice on them. I explored these areas when I was a student at crowded in 1974.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

sounds like fun.
SonOfKong
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by SonOfKong »

Gimpface, when are we going?
Mikelmike92
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Mikelmike92 »

Ok... if you drive east down the road just south of premier turbines, you can park at the old world war 1 cemetery. wiggle over the fence and follow the railroad track that are to the left. (They run east) follow them about a mile look to your right and you will see one of the test stands.. go directly south and you will find the other one. which as of yesterday is no longer sealed. there is a mile long tunnel that connects to a larger room that still has electricity. go just a bit farther and you will find another mile long tunnel going to the first test stand. Just know that there is only one way out.... (the way you came in) and a huge plastic barrel full of hydrochloric acid for some odd reason.. If you follow the railroad tracks to the end of the line. you will find a few very creepy buildings and even an old sickbay.. I spent over 10 hours out there yesterday.. still didn't see everything there was. Take plenty of water and flash lights with you.. GOOD HUNTING!!
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

My (late) uncle went through Signal Corps training here in WWII- it was THE main training location for radio operators; he spent the war
in India and finally China as a radio operator in the AAF.
While he did not see combat, he had many interesting stories, including meeting some actual (pre-American involvement) Flying Tiger pilots!

I spent my 1967 Summer Camp as a member of the MO Guard Combat Engineers unit tasked with cleaning up/demoing some of the barracks.
While I was there, Rocketdyne was still testing engines at night for all sorts of efforts, culminating in the Mercury and Gemini programs, and we
could hear the roar of the distant engines and could sometimes see a glow on the horizon.
Of course, all of the rocket stuff was off-limits, so I observed none of it.

OT, but Carl Reiner and Mort Walker (originator of the still-around Beetle Bailey cartoon strip) were stationed here.
Dick Van Dyke's Rob Petrie character was portrayed as being stationed here, and many episodes of the old Dick Van Dyke Show were situated here.

It was a very large base, and also served as a POW center, eventually housing some 10K German and Italian prisoners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Crowder
https://armyhistory.org/camp-enoch-h-crowder-missouri/
VERY interesting site, particularly in its info on the Rocket testing:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... rowder.htm

Again, WAY OT, but we NCO's ventured into some of the "Not-even Blue Highway roads" for refreshment
and encountered some folks in the bars for whom "Dueling Banjos" was high culture!
Several had all of their front teeth. They looked on us city folk with suspicion, but took our money for beer.
The men's "rest room" was, quite literally, several holes in a concrete pad out back of the bar - true!
I kid you not!!!
I cannot even imagine what the restroom for the fairer sex looked like! :shock:
NOTE that none of the bars mentioned were in the town of Neosho!

More OT, but the farmers around Camp Clark, our "home base" around Nevada, MO - still an active MO Guard location -
had different opinions about the German and Italian POWs located there and employed in their fields.
They loved the work ethic of the Germans, but enjoyed the joie de vivre of the previous Italian prisoners, even if they were definitely not as devoted to the farming tasks at hand ....
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aerohog »

Thanks for sharing!
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

More info on the WWII function of Camp Crowder.
Perhaps TMI, but what the heck! It is Labor Day weekend!
https://armyhistory.org/camp-enoch-h-crowder-missouri/
cheeto
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by cheeto »

I know this is an old post, but as a Neosho resident, I would love to get in there and take some pictures. I spent a couple hours today hiking around behind the Premier Turbines facilty (Air Force Plant 65). The gates and fences mentioned above are all marked "US Government Property No Trespasing". Does anyone have any definitive info on who owns the property? If it's the college, I have no issues with hopping a fence, just not too keen on trespassing on government property.
BTW, not much to look at directly behind the plant, everything has apparently been bulldozed, just leaving the slabs of old structures. The plant itself still has electrical service apparently, some sort of generator can be heard droning on continuously, which makes me wary of security systems if someone were interested in exploring the facility itself.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

cheeto wrote:I know this is an old post, but as a Neosho resident, I would love to get in there and take some pictures. I spent a couple hours today hiking around behind the Premier Turbines facilty (Air Force Plant 65). The gates and fences mentioned above are all marked "US Government Property No Trespasing". Does anyone have any definitive info on who owns the property? If it's the college, I have no issues with hopping a fence, just not too keen on trespassing on government property.
BTW, not much to look at directly behind the plant, everything has apparently been bulldozed, just leaving the slabs of old structures. The plant itself still has electrical service apparently, some sort of generator can be heard droning on continuously, which makes me wary of security systems if someone were interested in exploring the facility itself.
I'd take a look at any online GIS services maintained by the county. Real easy way to figure out property boundaries and who owns what.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/