Trolley Problem

You can talk about anything here
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Trolley Problem

Post by Nicotti »

I don't think I could move a man fat enough to stop a run away trolley.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I don't think the fat man will want to be thrown in frount of the trolly dont his opinion count???
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

There aren't only 2 options to either of these scenarios, no matter how the question is phrased.

I don't have the authority to make a decision that would most certainly result in the death of any single person. I would do whatever I could to try and alert everyone to get off the track. If they weren't able to then they weren't able to, but one death isn't any easier to stomach than 5 deaths.

There are also intangibles that aren't mentioned. For instance, what if you're willing to throw that switch which kills the single guy but what if this guy is an only parent to a couple children whose mother is dead? Again, we don't know these things and I don't believe I have any right whatsoever to determine who lives and who dies, and certainly not based solely on numbers.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

Post by slow_walker »

tyler wrote:I don't have the authority to make a decision that would most certainly result in the death of any single person...one death isn't any easier to stomach than 5 deaths.
This is the heart of the entire debate. Check out this article
The article is very interesting, but very long. Here's the part of the article relating to the trolley problem:
The gap between people’s convictions and their justifications is also on display in the favorite new sandbox for moral psychologists, a thought experiment devised by the philosophers Philippa Foot and Judith Jarvis Thomson called the Trolley Problem. On your morning walk, you see a trolley car hurtling down the track, the conductor slumped over the controls. In the path of the trolley are five men working on the track, oblivious to the danger. You are standing at a fork in the track and can pull a lever that will divert the trolley onto a spur, saving the five men. Unfortunately, the trolley would then run over a single worker who is laboring on the spur. Is it permissible to throw the switch, killing one man to save five? Almost everyone says “yes.”

Consider now a different scene. You are on a bridge overlooking the tracks and have spotted the runaway trolley bearing down on the five workers. Now the only way to stop the trolley is to throw a heavy object in its path. And the only heavy object within reach is a fat man standing next to you. Should you throw the man off the bridge? Both dilemmas present you with the option of sacrificing one life to save five, and so, by the utilitarian standard of what would result in the greatest good for the greatest number, the two dilemmas are morally equivalent. But most people don’t see it that way: though they would pull the switch in the first dilemma, they would not heave the fat man in the second. When pressed for a reason, they can’t come up with anything coherent, though moral philosophers haven’t had an easy time coming up with a relevant difference, either.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Personally I reject moral questions like that, because they are too limited to predict morality. Morality is in the details. What if in the 1st example the 5 guys are black, the 1 guy is white, and the guy at the switch is kkk?

I think by limiting the choices available to solve the situation the creators of the problem limit the range of morality that can be expressed, kill 5 or kill 1? What if I flick the switch to kill one and find there is time to run over and knock him out of the way. Is that more moral than letting him die? Or what if I hesitate too long and he gets creamed, am I still equally as moral, I had the intention to save him after all?

Creativity in solving the problem should not be ignored.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I think you should have used this moral problem, it seems tailored to our geographical location... :P

Julie is traveling in France on summer vacation from college with her brother Mark. One night they decide that it would be interesting and fun if they tried making love. Julie was already taking birth-control pills, but Mark uses a condom, too, just to be safe. They both enjoy the sex but decide not to do it again. They keep the night as a special secret, which makes them feel closer to each other. What do you think about that — was it O.K. for them to make love?

-Ayn Rand
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

I think you should have used this moral problem, it seems tailored to our geographical location...

Julie is traveling in France on summer vacation from college with her brother Mark. One night they decide that it would be interesting and fun if they tried making love. Julie was already taking birth-control pills, but Mark uses a condom, too, just to be safe. They both enjoy the sex but decide not to do it again. They keep the night as a special secret, which makes them feel closer to each other. What do you think about that — was it O.K. for them to make love?

lololol....wtf?!?!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

Wow I guess yuk is a word??? Having to kiss your sister on the cheek is bad but going that far...............
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Nicotti wrote:Julie is traveling in France on summer vacation from college with her brother Mark. One night they decide that it would be interesting and fun if they tried making love. Julie was already taking birth-control pills, but Mark uses a condom, too, just to be safe. They both enjoy the sex but decide not to do it again. They keep the night as a special secret, which makes them feel closer to each other. What do you think about that — was it O.K. for them to make love?

I'm guessing Julie and Mark are originaly from Arkansas?
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

And the answer is:
Only if Julie is really, really hot. But it's still not ok for her. She's an incestuous ho bag.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
graffitifetish
Miss Silver Lining
Miss Silver Lining

RE: Trolley Problem

Post by graffitifetish »

We had to talk about this in Philosophy last semester, so I'm not playing.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

aw come on you are the one with the answers
junkman306
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by junkman306 »

BROUSER wrote:What's the one guy's name? I mean, do I know him? Do I know the five guys? What the fuck is a trolley doing in Republic anyway? Is there any chance I could sue the parent company for putting me in so much mental anguish? If the trolley is going slow enough that I could immediately become aware of the repercussions of either action, then why don't I have time to formulate another plan? In all groups of five guys doing heavy manual labor, there's usually just one standing around, doing nothing. How come he can't tell his co-workers to get off the track? If he's not there, where the hell is he? Did he call in sick? I'm pretty sure it's a union requirement that he be there.
Lol. Typical democratic answer. By the time he figures out the answers to these questions it'll all be over. :lol:
What's the point of making a point if the point you are trying to make is pointless? Do you get my point?
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

"The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one" ~ Spock

I try to relate Star Trek to my everyday life as much as I can. You can learn some good lessons from a guy with pointy ears.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

but would you want him for your captian