Post One Thing That Made You Mad About Today

You can talk about anything here
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Post One Thing That Made You Mad About Today

Post by crazydrummerdude »

mindwaave wrote:
Headframe Hunters wrote:Missouri is full of creepy places; I've encountered full-on voices, footsteps, and machinery noises at a mine in Perry County.
Let's go swing a cat!
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Drama is lame and infectious and really gunks-up communities. I hate drama and those that perpetuate it.

I'd be madder about it, but today is Friday.
Preservation over plunder.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Same. A few of my associates like to gossip and I've just been ignoring. I'm not sure how to address it, but it's definitely getting old and does no good for the team.
aka "That Guy"
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I had to give a presentation to a bunch of big bosses yesterday. I was seated at the conference table when one slick-haired, pointy-faced, expensive-watch-wearing manager walked up and hip-checked my chair away from him. I turned to him and of course, he looked away like nothing happened. I gave the presentation to some laughs and good q&a and sat back down. As we were leaving, he got up and full-force kicked the base of my chair in an attempt to knock it out from under me. I looked straight at him and again, he couldn't look at me. Before you ask, he's not blind, and this was my first time meeting him. I guess I stole his seat or something. I just love the fragile ego blowhards in my industry.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Yikes. Did anyone else in the room see this guy attempt to disrupt and injure you?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I guess your reputation proceeds you, and he doesn't like it. Or he feels threatened by you enough to try and make you look bad in front of the others.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Had plans to go explore some nature stuff with a friend. She called an hour before we were to meet (10am) to say she'd be an hour to an hour and a half late. At 12:30pm I call her and she'd fallen asleep and no longer wanted to go. By then I was so mad and it was so late I didn't even go by myself.

I'd been streesed out all last week and wanted a nice relaxing weekend, instead I get a stressful and pissed off weekend.

-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Work's been so stressful for so long that it's getting hard to find psychological energy for other things. Illness and injury and a missed vacation all contribute to it, but dozens of anxieties plague my sleep and the months of it are blurring together.

Anyone have tips to avoid burnout, or leave workstress at work? Been considering some crazy ideas lately and would prefer to trade them for sound ideas...
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

mindwaave wrote:Work's been so stressful for so long that it's getting hard to find psychological energy for other things. Illness and injury and a missed vacation all contribute to it, but dozens of anxieties plague my sleep and the months of it are blurring together.

Anyone have tips to avoid burnout, or leave workstress at work? Been considering some crazy ideas lately and would prefer to trade them for sound ideas...
Reflecting back on my sociology classes, I was taught that anxieties can basically be quantified as the difference between expectations -- either societal pressures or personal ambitions -- and reality. The simple answer is to either lower your standards or implement changes in your life to help yourself meet those standards. Acknowledge that not all things are in your control, and it's not worth your time worrying about those things.

As far as losing sleep, re-read the previous paragraph and then treat your bedroom solely as a place for sleep. Don't use the computer in bed, don't watch TV, don't daydream or anything of that sort. If you're disciplined in this, you can train your brain to shut off the instant you lie down. Your bed is not a place for worry or any activity; it's a place for sleep. Poor quality sleep results in poor quality of life. It's a directly correlated cycle. If you have no psychological energy in the day, it may be a direct result of poor sleep. You just have to break the cycle.

If you're really worried about this, I would advise you see a trained professional with a PhD in the fields of soc or psych who can get deeper insight.
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I'm young so I don't have a ton of experience in this, but I've never held the same position longer than 1.5 years. After 1 year I always get burntout. If you're in the same boat, try to lateral transfer to a new dept, promote, or look into opportunities with other employers in your field. I could write you an essay on how to design a job catered to personality type that's going to offer adequate intrinsic reward and complexity, how to conduct the hiring process to attract and choose suitable candidates, and how to set a positive and productive workplace culture that's going to reduce burnout, but maybe that would be beyond the scope of what you're asking for.
aka "That Guy"
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Look at this guy! Offering to write essays. :wink:

-Ayn Rand
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Well, the job's turned to shit. I'm getting outsourced and have to train them how to do stuff I already do! Good thing headhunters are crawling up my ass, cause my severance'll be worthless. Want to stay in STL for another couple years, but the world beckons...
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Post One Thing That Made You Mad About Today

Post by SubLunar »

That fuckin sucks man. I have definitely known that feeling before.

I've come to the opinion that, in the IT field, Managed Service Providers are the place to be. I'm moving around more, seeing more of a variety of people and environments and being challenged more than I was when I was an in-house guy. I'm also making considerably more money now. YMMV. There are some irritating things about working for an MSP, but so far in my experience the plusses outweigh the negatives.

I'd hate to see you leave STL but if you find something elsewhere then I reckon you gotta do what you gotta do.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Hey! I, too, have had to train my replacements at a job! It's a sucky feeling.

I agree with Sub on location, rather not have my friend move away, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

But if you DO move, move to a loc with a high percentage of outgoing attractive single ladies, the type that makes the first move. :wink:

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I have a ladyfriend that if I ask her if she wants to hang out and she doesn't will ghost me until after the event is over rather than just telling me outright that she isn't interested or doesn't want to go. It's stupid weak shit and I hate it! It's okay if you don't want to hang, but just fuckin tell me! You're not going to hurt my feelings or whatever by saying 'No thanks'.

-Ayn Rand