Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by crazydrummerdude »

So,MST's 14th St building is completely open.

Buehler building is being worked on still, but wide open. The alarms were even going off as peeps were working on it.

There's a place off 72 that's wide open. Looks pretty trashed, though..
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

..and there goes the 14th St Building.

1/3 of it was torn down yesterday, with work continuing today.

Fuck.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

I watched the 14th st. building be demolished on my way to class yesterday morning. Wtf, I thought they were going to make it offices or apartments or something?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Doesn't suprise me. "Progress."
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Yep. "Progress" in the form of turning something useful into something worthless. Less than a block away used to stand a large house. It was torn down last semester. It's been a gravel/debris filled lot since.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Progress sucks. Today my gf asked me which is the lesser of two evils, for a natural system (such as a cave or something) to be heavily commercialized, or for it to be destroyed in the name of progress, as was large portions of Cherokee cave. I decided that nature will far outlast any commercial business and will eventually take it back over, as long as it still exists unlike if they destroyed it.

Anyways, back to relevance to topic: I also see that there are plans for the IDE building (built 1909) to be razed as well as the quad, and then they want to put up res colleges 4 5 and 6. The hell? I would think after the university spends way more than necessary on this name change in this economy, they should kind of take it easy for a while.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Fuck. The IDE building, although old and creeky, is cool.. and has character. Better than Toomey, where I'm sitting as I write this.

There was a building in between here and the other buildings, in the grass, I don't remember what it was called, but I believe it was even on the registrar of historic places. A couple years ago, it was here, but by the time I transferred here, it was gone.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

crazydrummerdude wrote:Fuck. The IDE building, although old and creeky, is cool.. and has character. Better than Toomey, where I'm sitting as I write this.

There was a building in between here and the other buildings, in the grass, I don't remember what it was called, but I believe it was even on the registrar of historic places. A couple years ago, it was here, but by the time I transferred here, it was gone.
Toomy is the Industrial Engineering Building isn't it? (or was). If you're talking about to the north of it there was an annex building that was much older but it wasn't on the national register. It was slated to be demolished when I was at Rolla 9 years ago.

Why do they want to tear down the IDE building for? It's one of the original structures on campus! I guess they don't care. Next

crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Toomey is the Mechanical/Aerospace building.

I can see it in my head, and I could have sworn the demolished part was on the national historic registrar.

But, one of the University Center buildings was torn down, too, before my transfer here. The other one is now called "Centennial Hall."
KDubs
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KDubs »

I had to look at a campus map to see what the IDE building is. That was the Engineering Mechanics building, wasn't it? I think I took Statics and Dynamics there. You're right, why would they want to tear that down? It's not a terribly functional building, but worth saving I would think. What's next, Norwood Hall? The Rolla Building?

What the heck is a residence college, anyway?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

crazydrummerdude wrote:Toomey is the Mechanical/Aerospace building.

I can see it in my head, and I could have sworn the demolished part was on the national historic registrar.

But, one of the University Center buildings was torn down, too, before my transfer here. The other one is now called "Centennial Hall."
Yeah I ment Mechanical Engineering, I couldn't think of the word.

As for one of the university Center buildings was it the one closest to the Chemical Engineering building?

PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Willard wrote: As for one of the university Center buildings was it the one closest to the Chemical Engineering building?
The University Center they got rid of was UC west, next to the Rolla building. Now it is just an empty field in which certain people gather, called boffers, to beat the shit out of each other video game style with costumes and weapons made out of foam and duct tape. Real cool.

Also, for anyone interested, here is a great resource for anyone wanting to maybe do things frowned upon by authorities, you know, if you're into that kind of thing.

http://phyfac.mst.edu/floorplans/index.html
Robzilla
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Robzilla »

I remember having classes in that old Mechanical/AE annex building.

Trying to remember some of the interesting stuff when I was there. There used to be an old rocket engine sitting in a scrapyard off of 63 on the south end of town. And I remember when you could drive over the old wood bridge near city hall.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

you could FLY over the wooden bridge by city hall--espically if the cops were chasing ya :shock:
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
IVIy DoomsDay
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by IVIy DoomsDay »

there are some pretty sweet caves outside of rolla ive heard. going towards dixon maybe? past Sears i think on the right down a gravel road...
BREE BREE!!