Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by crazydrummerdude »

IVIy DoomsDay wrote:there are some pretty sweet caves outside of rolla ive heard. going towards dixon maybe? past Sears i think on the right down a gravel road...
I think I know what you're talking about.

Well, at least, down 63 (like 8 miles past Sears), on a forest road, there's caves near Lane Springs. I haven't been, though. But, Lane Springs is sweet.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

I know down past Newburg there is McCormick Cave, which from the info I got on it is pretty interesting. Inside is a seismic station and fallout shelter from the cold war era, and a large rock collection from when the Geological department moved from Norwood in the 80's.
Apparently they stored a bunch of rocks from their displays at the 1904 worlds fair in that cave as well as random other samples all over the place. It has since been forgotten about. But from what I read, there are still bottles of ink and seismic paper inside the bunker which is sealed inside the cave. Sounds pretty cool. I have a ton more info so if anyone wants some pm me.
IVIy DoomsDay
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by IVIy DoomsDay »

yeah drummer im pretty sure thats what im talking about lol kind of afraid to go back though, on the way back last time, saw a mountain lion run in front of the car.... :shock:
BREE BREE!!
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

IVIy DoomsDay wrote:yeah drummer im pretty sure thats what im talking about lol kind of afraid to go back though, on the way back last time, saw a mountain lion run in front of the car.... :shock:
geezus :shock:
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by redox »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I know down past Newburg there is McCormick Cave, which from the info I got on it is pretty interesting. Inside is a seismic station and fallout shelter from the cold war era, and a large rock collection from when the Geological department moved from Norwood in the 80's.
Apparently they stored a bunch of rocks from their displays at the 1904 worlds fair in that cave as well as random other samples all over the place. It has since been forgotten about. But from what I read, there are still bottles of ink and seismic paper inside the bunker which is sealed inside the cave. Sounds pretty cool. I have a ton more info so if anyone wants some pm me.
that's awesome
IVIy DoomsDay
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by IVIy DoomsDay »

yeah...kind of scary... lol if i ever saw one outside a vehicle or a bear or something i would shit! i also seen one on my way to vianna one day with my grandfather.
BREE BREE!!
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

redox wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I know down past Newburg there is McCormick Cave, which from the info I got on it is pretty interesting. Inside is a seismic station and fallout shelter from the cold war era, and a large rock collection from when the Geological department moved from Norwood in the 80's.
that's awesome
Killer! That'd be worth a drive out from Springshit to see although maybe some of the stuff has been moved by now??

Mineral Museum
You will see mineral displays from the 1904 World's Fair and donated minerals from alumni and friends. Open year round Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm, admission is free Call 573-341-4616 for more information.
125 McNutt Hall, Rolla, MO
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

cobcob wrote:Mineral Museum
You will see mineral displays from the 1904 World's Fair and donated minerals from alumni and friends. Open year round Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm, admission is free Call 573-341-4616 for more information.
To me, it sounds like information was mixed up. That sounds like the mineral display in the basement of McNutt.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

crazydrummerdude wrote:
cobcob wrote:Mineral Museum
To me, it sounds like information was mixed up. That sounds like the mineral display in the basement of McNutt.
Well, there is a mineral museum in McNutt and they have minerals from the World's Fair there too, but a large bulk of samples are still in that cave. They were supposed to do something with them, but never did. The really good and attractive samples are on display in the basement though. We had to study them a couple times for my mineralogy lab.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

I'm always looking for more caves to go on personal trips to, if anyone knows of good ones around here and/or wants to go with me if I find anything else cool, hit me up.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

I suggest the cave I was at when I was supposed to explore with you all last semester. Lone Hill Onyx Cave, I think it's call. It's public and large and I know how to get there.
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

crazydrummerdude wrote:I suggest the cave I was at when I was supposed to explore with you all last semester. Lone Hill Onyx Cave, I think it's call. It's public and large and I know how to get there.
Lone Hill's cool. We go there pretty frequently because we live nearby. If you're in the area, also check out Hamilton Springs cave. It's muddy as hell so that makes it fun.

I have quite a few pictures of both if anyone's interested. Let me know and I'll post them.
Skullbowl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Skullbowl »

CaveGirl wrote:
Lone Hill's cool. We go there pretty frequently because we live nearby. If you're in the area, also check out Hamilton Springs cave. It's muddy as hell so that makes it fun.

I have quite a few pictures of both if anyone's interested. Let me know and I'll post them.
I am interested. Please post them. :D
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Thanks for the pics.

It's sad how many formations are dirtied up and broken off..