Higdon Mine

Urban exploration in Missouri
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Higdon Mine

Post by Headframe Hunters »

So, we decided that a drive down to the Higdon Mine in Perry County, MO was in order tonight. We had high hopes that the production shaft might be dewatered, allowing us to descend some or all of its 1500 feet via the ladderway. Unfortunately, this was not to be- but this mine is still incredible to see!

Shaft sinking was completed by the Bunker Hill Mining Co. around 1967, but the mine never shipped ore due to poor market conditions. Doe Run bought the mine and did some refurbishment in 1998, but nothing came of this either. Now the mine is abandoned, but its surface plant is almost completely intact. The inside of the dry house has mostly been ransacked by scrappers, teenagers, and possibly Doe Run contractors removing usable fixtures for reuse. Both hoists, including a huge double-drum Nordberg unit, are still in place, as are both headframes, the substation, and the magazine.

I'm reasonably sure that this mine is haunted, but it's not a hostile haunting, mostly sort of protective. As everything in the dry house came from what I think was the office area, my guess is that the old mine foreman felt like sticking around after he passed. We heard voices in the dry house, as well as footsteps that were not our own. While in the hoist house, we heard a noise that was very close to an operating mine hoist. It was completely still out; these noises were not caused by wind. The footsteps and hoist noise are audible on video; my cell-phone camera did not pick up the voices.

Video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDRbvgY1xs
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Higdon Mine

Post by mindwaave »

I'm not one to believe in hauntings, but spooky stuff always makes for a good time when you're out in the middle of nowhere :D Thanks for sharing your recon!
Preservation over plunder.
gnomad1
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Higdon Mine

Post by gnomad1 »

Very cool. Never heard of this mine. Thanks for the share
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Higdon Mine

Post by Headframe Hunters »

UPDATE:

As of 10/3/2018, Doe Run applied for and received an MSHA ID for the Higdon mine. It is now on the MSHA list as a currently active though nonproducing mine. Consider this site to be "hot" and avoid.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Higdon Mine

Post by SubLunar »

dang