what made you happy today?

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by SubLunar »

mindwaave wrote:Sweet! 16 jiggabats of RAM is wonderful, I can never go back to less. What synth did you decide on getting?
For audio/video, I don't even need much memory. I never maxed out my old machine's RAM and I only fairly recently upgraded that one to 8GB. I ran 4GB's for most of its life. For what I do, it's more about CPU power.

As far as the synth goes, I was planning on getting the Korg MS20 mini with the SQ1 sequencer. And I still want that one.. but I ended up going with the Minilogue, partially just because I could save patches on it..
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: what made you happy today?

Post by BagHead727 »

So I did a carburetor swap on my DRZ400. Took way longer than I expected and ran into a lot more problems than I expected. We stayed up until 3:45am in a friends basement with the bike in pieces even though I had to work at 7:00am later that morning. My throttle was not compatible so I had ordered a new throttle with my carburetor which was off a ktm and did not fit my handlebars, or at least did not slide onto my handlebars far enough for the throttle cables to reach, so we cut the crap out of the new throttle with a dremel until it did fit. The biggest problem was that I had ordered a new jet kit that would work with my bike, and I broke the brand new main jet off inside the carburetor. Had to run to walmart to buy an extractor kit to drill the jet out... but now we were stuck with the stock jetting that came with the carburetor. The carburetor was off some sort of KTM, anywhere from a 400cc to a 525cc, with no way to tell which one. It was almost guaranteed to not work with my bike. But somehow it did. It turned out to be really lean, so I had to hold off on any of the mods I had planned on doing (airbox and exhaust mods) and just be content with the bike running. I tuned the carburetor a little bit and lowered the clip on the needle to make it less lean. It runs amazingly now with way more power than I started with, and it's not even jetted properly. Should be really really good once I jet it and do the mods.

Basically, I'm happy that my motorcycle actually runs right now, because it shouldn't.
aka "That Guy"
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I just got the best "ugly sweater" ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Stevens-Sas ... B013QM5OA4
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Seeing this made me happy. Gotta appreciate topography.

Preservation over plunder.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

So I bought an fcr39 carb a week or two ago. Today I got another one in the mail...

It's a $500 value that I got for free. I was considering selling it on craigslist but instead called the company and am going to send the carb back. They are going to refund me a little bit of money for my time and told me I can keep the throttle since the one they sent previously didn't fit right and had a frayed throttle cable.
aka "That Guy"
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

BagHead727 wrote:So I bought an fcr39 carb a week or two ago. Today I got another one in the mail...
Had a similar situation with an ABS HCU for my truck. Ordered, it hadn't come in a couple of weeks, so I called. Had one on the porch the next day. And then had another on the porch two days later. Bought used, so if one goes out, I have a back up.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Taking more music lessons. Started out with piano and just switched to guitar. I basically tell them what I want to know and they help me get there. I have no formal music theory education but I'm starting to figure stuff out.

The most frustrating part about all this is all the books out there leave out so much information. I have like 5 different books including several different "Guitar Grimoire" series and yet I find myself having to open up 3 at a time to piece together the things that each book leaves out. It's like they all assume a different level of background knowledge and gloss over a lot. They just throw shit at you and expect you to know what they want you to do with it. So I'm taking the books to the lessons and pointing out the parts that don't make sense and getting a better understanding.

I never knew the names of chords on guitar before. Mainly because I always played metal and tabs were all I used and metal is mostly 2-3 note "power chords" and scales so learning the basic chords wouldn't do much good because it doesn't translate to the style of music I played. Even with a hundred bucks worth of guitar books sitting around, it still doesn't make much sense until you start applying it. And all these books fail miserably at that point. You really have to learn a song someone else made to make the obscure concepts come together. So this morning I learned "Ring of Fire". C-D-G. Ah yes. I've played those chords many times but never knew their names.

It's nice to finally start making some sense of this stuff. Yeah there's tons of stuff on the youtubes but it's nice to actually have someone to ask about things when you get stuck on something in a book. I've been wanting to do this for years but never got anywhere because I kept getting stuck at the parts of the books that fail to explain themselves. So glad I left the previous piano teacher to find the current instructor. After a month or so of this, I'll be switching to drums. All with the same instructor. Totally worth it.
Last edited by SubLunar on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Also, my recording studio is now fully operational. I went through months of hell during the computer upgrade and trying to find a good audio interface for Windows 7.

The Focusrite 18i20 sucks ass. 500 bucks for a very mediocre interface that can't handle much at all being thrown at it. Clicks and pops except at very specific middle of the road settings. I bought one and returned it and bought another because I thought the first one was bad or something. No, they just suck, despite having really good specs. My laptop handled multiple audio programs simultaneously better than this piece of junk.

I picked up a used M-Audio M-Track Eight for half the price of the 18i20 and like magic all the problems went away. This thing can handle everything I've thrown at it so far. And last night I discovered that I can run TWO usb-midi keyboards into TWO different Arturia instruments and route them BOTH into Reason in REAL TIME without clicks and pops. That's THREE separate high definition audio applications running at once with zero audible latency.

I now have all the greatest (virtual) vintage keyboards at my disposal running 24bit/96khz into Reason which contains all the drums and everything else I could ever need. My studio is open for business. For my own business that is. Fuck recording other people.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: what made you happy today?

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:Also, my recording studio is now fully operational.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Went on a 2hr ride through the snow today all through town, back roads, and trails. Got back home and pulled into my subdivision and decided to fishtail around on the unplowed streets... Literally made it 2 hours without dropping the bike but managed to drop it 100 yards from my driveway. Low sided at 30mph and slid 50ft across the snowy pavement and didn't damage the bike at all. A street bike with fairings and no crank case guards would have been totaled right there.. and this is why I love dual sports.
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Recently listed a guitar amp head + speaker cab on craigslist for X amount of money.

Got no replies.

Decided to list the Head by itself for the same "X amount" of money on ebay, just to see if it would sell. If so, then I'd keep the cab and throw some vintage 30 speakers in it or something.

Head promptly sold to a local person, which meant I saved about $100 on shipping! Asked guy if he wants a cab for it too... He confirmed!! IMMEDIATELY deleted criagslist ad showing everything for half the price.

So I basically got twice what I expected to get and didn't have to ship anything. Fuck yeah. Dude was happy about the deal too.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

My new 1970's FUN MACHINE.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Hell yeah!! Always nice to see those older synths in good condition. Is everything in working order internally? I've heard that bad capacitors can be difficult to identify...
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Pretty much mint. Original owner, all paperwork included. It's worth about what I paid for it, but it's still a FUN MACHINE. GET IT?
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Was supposed to have someone buy my bike tomorrow, so I took it to the car wash today. I got it home and noticed there is oil on the swingarm and my counter shaft seal is leaking badly. I called the buyer and told him the deal was off because I needed to do repairs. Now I get to keep the bike... I don't know why I ever tried to sell it in the first place lol

Also, I should be buying Versys 650 on Friday if all goes well
aka "That Guy"