Train Hopping

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: Train Hopping

Post by GlassCurtain »

cobcob wrote:
GlassCurtain wrote:I've hopped a train from Kansas City to Chicago once. But I did buy a boarding pass from amtrack first. :) Actually it was pretty fun. We were the only ones in our car. I brought the acoustic so I just sat in the back of my car and played most the trip.
I've ridden the AmTrack from Chi-town to KC and back. Loved it! Beat the hell out of greyhound and was less hassle than flying.
Dude I totally agree! It was a nice chill trip up there. And your more rested when you arrive than when you drive or fly.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by cousin »

Mandi Milenko wrote:Hmmm....Looks like the first one has one going straight towards Joplin. I wonder if there's a stop around there?

That would be a pretty far and crazy trip..

Most of the switching down here takes place in Carthage, 15 miles from Joplin.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

GlassCurtain wrote:Dude I totally agree! It was a nice chill trip up there. And your more rested when you arrive than when you drive or fly.
Not to mention the snack car!
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

shame the US has such shitty trains. I say this thinking train travel is very pleasant compared to the alternatives.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Train Hopping

Post by paul06660 »

I would not recommend hoping any trains in Springfield. BNSF visually inspects all trains going thru town at the rail yard between Division and Atlantic streets. They have cameras everywhere along the main tracks, and a piggy piggy man in an SUV with a German Sheppard to get your ass.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
graffitifetish
Miss Silver Lining
Miss Silver Lining

Post by graffitifetish »

Whatever. They just ask you to leave. Or wave at you. In my experience.

I've never hopped one of the trains, but I was climbing through one when it started moving and had to eat dirt. It was less than awesome.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

I was at a yard in STL this one time at the edge of it watching the trains go by while sitting on a park bench. After a couple minutes a locomotive came right up to where I was sitting and a guy got out and nicely told me I had to leave before the sheriff got there. Then he got back in and the train went back the way it came. I was like kick ass! I got my own personal messenger train!
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

This guy has some big pendulous clanking brass balls as he train surfs on high speed bullet trains. The bar's been set.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

holy shit that's fucking madness!^^
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Post by cobcob »

Train surfing used to be a big thing back in Melbourne late 90's/ early 00's
Fucking retarded there because the power for the trains came from overhead lines not an electrified 3rd rail...
GlassCurtain wrote:I like to masturbate during the sexual harassment films at work.
Pinkspider wrote:check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I was at a yard in STL this one time at the edge of it watching the trains go by while sitting on a park bench. After a couple minutes a locomotive came right up to where I was sitting and a guy got out and nicely told me I had to leave before the sheriff got there. Then he got back in and the train went back the way it came. I was like kick ass! I got my own personal messenger train!
I thought park benches were public property?
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

yeah that's what I though too. Apparently they are just there to screw with trainspotters.
CaveGirl
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by CaveGirl »

I hopped a train once as a teenager but I haven't done it since and won't do it again. I've known too many people who've been killed by trains and they kind of scare me now because of it. I only road from my friend's house near Stanton down to Sullivan so just a few miles but it was a rush. If I wasn't such a chicken shit about getting ran over or hadn't known people who died that way I'd do it again.
DigitalNinja
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by DigitalNinja »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
I hopped one a couple times in KC the other day. Didn't stay on for more than 1/4 mile. I'm game. I keep saying I'm going to take one to KC.
railroadpunk
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by railroadpunk »

Since Homeland Security, train hopping has become close to impossible. Infrared is used quite a bit around most rail yards to detect warm spots for bodies. However, hopping freights on secondary railroads is more possible away from major cities.