Train Hopping

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: RE: Train Hopping

Post by The Count »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
Im with you dude

I've jumped a lot of trains, I'm obsessed with trains so I spend a lot of time down by the tracks, and whenever theres one moving at a good speed to jump I'm on that sucka.

Oh and one day I was snoopin around the East St. Louis railyard and I made it all the way back to the hump, so I was at the back of the yard, I was watchin them switch cars then I split, I was almost out and got busted by the bulls. Let me tell you from experinece your not allowed to be in a railyard at all much less go threw the whole thing like I did since 2001, so they put me in cuffs and I thankfully talked my way out of it LoL.

Yeh I jump them and take them down a few towns or for a couple hours its great. But I wanna pack my backpack and go for a week, prolly take the jeff city line and be gone for a week livin on the train, thad be so fun but everyone thinks I'm suicidal and crazy so no one will come, so PANIC I'm with you bro lets hit it you wanna?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

RE: Train Hopping

Post by ropingk »

Here is a OLD MANS QUESTION but like you say you LOVE trains and are OBSESSEd with Trains have you ever thoguth of getting a jOB yes a ACTUALL JOB on a train???? or working in the train yard??? no its not nearly as exciting but then most jobs arnt
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Train Hopping

Post by The Count »

Oh yeh I have, but I got 2 friends that work on the railroad, they're who I go to when I got questions they say if you work for the railroad thats your life, your on call 24/7 and they say you don't have a life all you do is work your a railroad slave.

And sorry but I like runnin women you dig? LoL
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

Oh yeh I have, but I got 2 friends that work on the railroad, they're who I go to when I got questions they say if you work for the railroad thats your life, your on call 24/7 and they say you don't have a life all you do is work your a railroad slave.

And sorry but I like runnin women you dig? LoL
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

A bunch of years ago i applied for a mech job at the train yard it paid some stupid HIGH dollar but like you said you are on call 24/7/365
and putting in a 22 hour day and haveing to come back in 2 hours or yopu get a "LATE POINT" just didnt sound like much of a life

my best friend took the job he was making over $125,000 a year after like 2 years but in them 2 years he was hiome maybe 2 weeks

he has now quit after almost 20 years( I said it was a lot of years ago)
HE told me he will NEVER WORK again
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

The Count wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
Im with you dude

I've jumped a lot of trains, I'm obsessed with trains so I spend a lot of time down by the tracks, and whenever theres one moving at a good speed to jump I'm on that sucka.

Oh and one day I was snoopin around the East St. Louis railyard and I made it all the way back to the hump, so I was at the back of the yard, I was watchin them switch cars then I split, I was almost out and got busted by the bulls. Let me tell you from experinece your not allowed to be in a railyard at all much less go threw the whole thing like I did since 2001, so they put me in cuffs and I thankfully talked my way out of it LoL.

Yeh I jump them and take them down a few towns or for a couple hours its great. But I wanna pack my backpack and go for a week, prolly take the jeff city line and be gone for a week livin on the train, thad be so fun but everyone thinks I'm suicidal and crazy so no one will come, so PANIC I'm with you bro lets hit it you wanna?
Your timing with this post is impeccable, as I have just spent several hours the past week perusing these railhopper sites like freighthopping.com and this link to several more sites and was more and more inspired to do this. I've never hopped more than a few miles, and definitely never messed with yards or bulls before. From the what I've read in these links and in your post, bulls tend to be mostly bark and not much bite, though I'm definitely not wanting to test that theory.
I've often wondered though, after figuring out what train to take, why don't more people just hop it outside the yard while it's still going slow and they can be safe from bulls, and then hop off just before entering the yard when the train slows to either pass through or stop? That would allow avoidance of yards and their pitfalls altogether.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

ropingk wrote:A bunch of years ago i applied for a mech job at the train yard it paid some stupid HIGH dollar but like you said you are on call 24/7/365
and putting in a 22 hour day and haveing to come back in 2 hours or yopu get a "LATE POINT" just didnt sound like much of a life

my best friend took the job he was making over $125,000 a year after like 2 years but in them 2 years he was hiome maybe 2 weeks

Man that sounds like a real crap life, even if it's all around trains and the like. Like most young boys I wanted to be one of two things: An astronaut or a train engineer. Well, ultimately I figured out the amount of work required to become each and nixed them off the list. I heard that train engineers must first begin at the bottom and work their way up? No thanks. I want to jump straight to the rewards without putting in the grunt work. It's just how I am :P
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:
ropingk wrote:A bunch of years ago i applied for a mech job at the train yard it paid some stupid HIGH dollar but like you said you are on call 24/7/365

Man that sounds like a real crap life, even if it's all around trains and the like. Like most young boys I wanted to be one of two things: An astronaut or a train engineer. Well, ultimately I figured out the amount of work required to become each and nixed them off the list. I heard that train engineers must first begin at the bottom and work their way up? No thanks. I want to jump straight to the rewards without putting in the grunt work. It's just how I am :P

well as cool as that sounds i think you are right my buddy went from steam cleaning the big boys to actually tearing down the engins and doing complete overhauls( you wouldnt think a train would need to be rebuilt but they do) when he finally retired he was the guy who when a train was involved in a accident he flew out there and assesed the danamage call the right people sweet good paying job
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

I dunno, at $125k a year, I might be able to forgo on having a life for 2-5 years. Can pay off a lotta debt and build a good nest egg with that kinda dough.

...assuming you actually save it instead of spending it frivolously.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I would be willing to sacrifice a lot for that much money.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Like most young boys I wanted to be one of two things: An astronaut or a train engineer.
Hey, me too!
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I've often wondered though, after figuring out what train to take, why don't more people just hop it outside the yard while it's still going slow and they can be safe from bulls, and then hop off just before entering the yard when the train slows to either pass through or stop? That would allow avoidance of yards and their pitfalls altogether.
Around here in Kansas I see a lot of Renzenberger vans sitting well before and after the entrance of the yards. But they're just a taxi for the railroad workers. They might report you but I doubt they would confront you. Of course they have a fresh crew sitting in the van when the train comes in so if they see you they might be a little more vigilant.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Like most young boys I wanted to be one of two things: An astronaut or a train engineer.
Hey, me too!
I wanted to create special effects for movies... the physical props, not computer ones.

-Ayn Rand
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Post by GlassCurtain »

Nicotti wrote:
crazydrummerdude wrote:
Hey, me too!
I wanted to create special effects for movies... the physical props, not computer ones.
I wanted to be a cocktail waitress when I was a kid. That made for some awkward meetings with the career counselor in 6th grade. :)

Actually I wanted to be a Diplomatic Security Service Agent because of an awesome documentary I saw when I was a kid.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

-Ayn Rand