Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Train Hopping
View previous topic | View next topic  
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Locations: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Has anyone on here ever hopped a train before?

I've done it a few times, either across town and between Rolla and Newburg, but nothing really long distance. Nonetheless, its a freaking thrill is what it is.

Surely some of you have awesome train hopping stories!
SubLunar
insert name here
insert name here

Locations: St. Louis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

I never even rode on a train before.
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Locations: Installing your mindcontrolanalprobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

I hop trains all the time. I like to wait till the hobos that are always in the freight cars fall asleep and then I shove my thumb up their arses.

Pinkspider wrote:
check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

I have never done it but I would love to find a train that runs from STL to Joplin that my mom and I can hop on and travel back and forth to see each other...

https://facebook.com/MandiMilenko
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: The 918 Area

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Its fun as hell, but can be dangerious if you dont know what you are doing. And you can get trapped on a train for a long time if it ends up going way too fast to jump off.

I've hopped on them going around the city, where they keep there speeds down and you can jump on and off without killing yourself. Its also illegal, but who cares!

redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

we used to jump the train at Audubon park and ride down to the freanch quarter where it always stopped at the warf
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

By the way, if you are caught by the railroad police, there is a good possibility that they will shoot to kill.
clovenlife
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

you won't find a train from joplin to STL. Kansas city is the country's largest train hub so anywhere around here is gonna go through KC first and then STL
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Yeah a I read a recent post by cousin (no promise of safety) and went to the trains section and was instantly inspired to do a long distance train hop, maybe across state and back. It's an excellent exercise in problem solving (e.g. when the train doesn't stop where you want it to.)

Could be fun or could really suck. Problem is I can't find anyone crazy (or retarded) enough to go with. Any takers?
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Ahem... Springfield is also a major Railroad hub. Plenty of trains going through here and there are trains that go from here to St. Louis that don't first go to Kansas City. We also have a major line that goes to Memphis.
Scout
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Locations: The Four States

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

clovenlife wrote:
you won't find a train from joplin to STL. Kansas city is the country's largest train hub so anywhere around here is gonna go through KC first and then STL
Really? Chicago used to be the biggest with Kansas City second. Do you know when KC passed Chicago as the largest?

I've hopped a couple back when I worked for the railroad. You'd get fired if caught. I remember hopping one and riding out to the worksite once. Sometimes it was a long walk.

PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

The BNSF railroad has quite the extensive track system in the midwest, with hubs in Stl, springfield and KC in missouri. Theoretically one could hop on somewhere and head out to California.

I've been thinking about riding from Stl to Springfield, but with my luck I'd probably end up in that little bit of track that goes to Canada. I wonder if I'd need my passport on a freight train?

Here's a map of the BNSF railway through the US:

And the Union Pacific:

Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Hmmm....Looks like the first one has one going straight towards Joplin. I wonder if there's a stop around there?

That would be a pretty far and crazy trip..
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Locations: NWA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

Well there is that cool abandoned train station in Joplin. But it was a passenger stop. That area is pretty industrial, there may be some stops there.

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6145

I've hopped a train from Kansas City to Chicago once. But I did buy a boarding pass from amtrack first. Smile Actually it was pretty fun. We were the only ones in our car. I brought the acoustic so I just sat in the back of my car and played most the trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
cobcob
Aequitas
Aequitas

Locations: Installing your mindcontrolanalprobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Train Hopping Reply with quote

GlassCurtain wrote:
I've hopped a train from Kansas City to Chicago once. But I did buy a boarding pass from amtrack first. Smile Actually it was pretty fun. We were the only ones in our car. I brought the acoustic so I just sat in the back of my car and played most the trip.

I've ridden the AmTrack from Chi-town to KC and back. Loved it! Beat the hell out of greyhound and was less hassle than flying.

Pinkspider wrote:
check here for geeky crotch eating goodness and crazy fake ass hair

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8