which gps to buy

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

which gps to buy

Post by liesreality »

I have a gps that I use in your car. It takes me to a certain address, but doesnt allow me to type in coordinates of lat/log. I usually type in the coordinates in google maps, then find a address close to the place and drive there. After that i get out and walk somewhat blindly to the place.

Does anyone know of a nice gps that you can type in the coordinates and does a good job of not losing signal.

Thanks. :D
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: which gps to buy

Post by GlassCurtain »

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. It works like a champ and is pretty cheap now since it's older. You can find them for about 100 bucks.

“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

RE: which gps to buy

Post by liesreality »

thank-you! :D I will probably buy this.

Any downsides to it that you see?
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Seconding the eTrex. Mine is awesome.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Thanks to you both. I have now ordered one. :D
GlassCurtain
Cereal Smuggler
Cereal Smuggler

Re: RE: which gps to buy

Post by GlassCurtain »

liesreality wrote:Any downsides to it that you see?
Not really. There is one thing but it's probably my own fault. I can't find an option to give me a street route to my destination. It always plots a straight route to my coords. I actually prefer the challenge of just diving a grid of roads until I get close. In fact, that's how we ended up parking on the top of holiday island tunnel to explore it. :)

Also I've never hooked it up to the computer and updated the firmware and maps so this might have something to do with it.
“I investigate things to complete my knowledge, my complete knowledge makes my thoughts sincere, my thoughts being sincere; my heart is pure.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasscurtain/
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Thanks. So far i have been lucky also, by just driving and walking over to the areas, and hoping i come across them. Just thought this might be easier. Hmm....i wonder how much the road maps are. Anyways, i'm going to give it a try as soon as it comes in.

Thanks again.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I wanted to post and update to this thread.

I agree with the suggestion on the gps. It works awesome. I have not done any updates to the maps, so it may work even better.

I do want to add that i also now have a gps nuvi 350, which allows you to type in coordinates w/the help of certain sites into the gps, and gives you driving directions, the the rest of the directions on foot. Sometimes it thinks your driving while your on foot, but at least it still gives you the "flag", so you can find your destination. :D
Cerealkiller
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cerealkiller »

Thanks for the tip on the eTrax. I have a gps but it sucks for UE.
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

I can understand that. I had a gps that was okay only for road travel to an address, but not to coordinates. the etrex works fine. The other gps is also a good, because with it you can get directions in your car and then off the road information. The etrex does a bit better off the road though.
fbears
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by fbears »

eTrex is what i have been using as well and i have been keen on updating it just to keep the streets and all all up to date since it will really help a lot more if it is so that you can get to the place better and easier. also i have been using a gps app on my iphone sometimes and i enjoy using it as well plus its very hand since it is in my phone so i never forget it at home
liesreality
Official Board Stalker
Official Board Stalker

Post by liesreality »

Aww.....I never updated mine, so i guess that would have helped, LOL> :D It works great though without the updates. I have been using a Garmin for the road, and it allows you to type in coordinates also. It does a fairly good job, but not as good as the etrex when your off the road.