U.S.S. Inaugural

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: U.S.S. Inaugural

Post by Nicotti »

According to the gage pic I have posted on page 23 (that updates automatically) the river has gone up a foot since this time yesterday.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: U.S.S. Inaugural

Post by EntropicDecay »

I thought they had finally scrapped it, otherwise I would have made the trip out there to see it. I guess I know where I am going next. It's a shame it ended up this way. I guess the only good news is that the asshole that sunk it for the insurance money never received said insurance money.
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Re: RE: U.S.S. Inaugural

Post by archinstl »

EntropicDecay wrote:I guess the only good news is that the asshole that sunk it for the insurance money never received said insurance money.
WHERE did you get this story?
Are you at all familiar with the story of its demise?
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by EntropicDecay »

I know it was a museum and that it was sold and the person who bought it sunk it for the insurance money and I know he never received it. I know what he did to it and it breaks my heart, but I find a little happiness that he never got the insurance money.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Yeah that's not what happened. The moorings broke during the great flood. The boat and the resturant hit the psb pylon and the resturant broke up. The ship (still floating) grounded near where it is now and a tug moved it to its current spot and moored it there while they decided what to do with it (still floating).

Edit: I checked the rft article, it didn't start listing and sink till 7 weeks later.

The only speculation there was is whether the moorings were cut or broke.
Last edited by Nicotti on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Ayn Rand
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by EntropicDecay »

The moorings were cut and the windows were left open, that's why he never got the money.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Do you have some news article to back that up or something?

-Ayn Rand
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by EntropicDecay »

The story I was raised on was that the moorings were cut during the great flood and it hit the pylons and when it did sink the divers found that the windows and doors were left open. I was told the moorings were cut because the owner at the time wanted to collect the insurance money on it. I obviously can't prove any of it because it's all heresy, but I trust my source and there is no doubt in my mind that is mostly likely what happened.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

EntropicDecay wrote: I obviously can't prove any of it because it's all heresy.
Damn autocorrect, but strangely apt.
Last edited by BROUSER on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by EntropicDecay »

Let's just say I'm very close with one of the original owners of the U.S.S. Inaugural and while my source did not sell the Inaugural to said asshole, he knew him and what kind of man he was.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

The RFT article says there is a 60 page report by the coast guard about their findings on it's sinking. Anyone know where I can find that report to read?

There is this site, but the boat sunk too long ago for it to be in the database.

also: http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02242.htm

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

So I sent a request in a month ago for the report. I got a generalized form letter the other day basically saying they did a cursory check for it and couldn't find it. So now I guess I'll have to be annoying and call them every day till they get tired of me and actually look for the report.

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

There are some super sweet photos of the USS Hazard located here: https://www.facebook.com/FREEDOMPARK#!/FREEDOMPARK

-Ayn Rand
MOFishwater
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by MOFishwater »

I noticed for the first time on Sunday what I assume is the remains of one of the boats discussed in this thread (not going thru 26 pages, sorry!). I was in the passenger seat of truck and noticed just north of the 44 bridge "ribs" of an old boat and there were about 10 folks sitting around it fishing.

River is quite low, I'd love to get a closer look at it one of these days. Has anyone visited it recently?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

MOFishwater wrote:I noticed for the first time on Sunday what I assume is the remains of one of the boats discussed in this thread (not going thru 26 pages, sorry!). I was in the passenger seat of truck and noticed just north of the 44 bridge "ribs" of an old boat and there were about 10 folks sitting around it fishing.

River is quite low, I'd love to get a closer look at it one of these days. Has anyone visited it recently?
Sadly it's basically just a cut up hull now. The tower and guns are long gone. As soon as the water was finally low enough to walk out to it, some eager fellows immediately tore into it. What's worse is the majority of what was cut off appeared to have been left on the banks when the water quickly rose again shortly thereafter, meaning it was a wasted effort. Not much left there to see.

Here's my pics of what it used to look like shortly before the scrapping began: http://sublunarphotography.blogspot.com ... eeper.html