Pere Marquette NIKE site

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
CaptNaughty
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Pere Marquette NIKE site

Post by CaptNaughty »

Hello all, i'm new this site and been looking for a new hobby on my days off. I have always been intrigued by the stories of the Pere Marquette Nike site in Pere Marquette State Park. Looking for some info as to the risks of being caught or is it one of those "I got off the beaten path" things. I was there today and think maybe have found a way underground. Thanks in advance
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Pere Marquette NIKE site

Post by SubLunar »

If you can convince them you strayed off the beaten path by inadvertently climbing the fence, that excuse might work.. as far as risks, I don't know. I fully authorize myself to be there, so that's what counts, right?

The underground area isn't going to be very large, based on other Nike sites, so even if someone dug out the entrance enough to get in, I don't think there would be much to see down there.

It's partially filled with loose concrete. A determined person with a couple hours to spend could get in.

Otherwise, there's not much to see there, some small unimpressive buildings in the woods. No cool equipment left behind anywhere. The buildings are all either empty or used as storage for the park and full of random crap.

Last edited by SubLunar on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I visited the only restored Nike missile site in the country and went to the underground portion.

This is the main missile battery from SF-88L in San Francisco. Another view. That's as big as the underground area will be.

There is one room off to the side where the launch commands are sent and there is a stairway going off an adjacent side. That's all there is to it. Another view.
Last edited by SubLunar on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Pere Marquette NIKE site

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:So imagine a room this size at least partially filled with debris
Don't forget flooded, it's probably partially flooded too.

And welcome new person.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I suppose I might have come off as pessimistic, so to reiterate, the history of it is definitely very interesting. I was kind of disappointed by what is left of it but overall I'm glad it's still there.

You will have to jump a few chain link fences, though, if you want to see everything. So make sure you're capable of dong so without hurting yourself. Don't get caught.

Also, welcome to the forum!
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Re: Pere Marquette NIKE site

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Someone should secretly clear the place out..
CaptNaughty
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by CaptNaughty »

Thanks for the info., how long would it take for them to even know you were there if I did decide to go? Looking for more places to go in the STL area. I remember about 8 years ago a place in SW St. Louis someone told me was a missile site also. It had concrete roads going under the streets or something. I just remember making a delivery and asking what the roads were for and they told me it was some sort of old military installation. Any info would be great! Thanks again.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

It didn't seem to be actively monitored in any way as far as I could tell. I think it would be more a matter of them happening to come across you. The underground area is some sort of junk pile area, so if they happened to have a load of junk to dump off or pick up then you might be screwed since it's fenced off. Then again, you'd probably hear em coming and would have time to hide behind some bushes. Just gotta be sneaky and try to work out an exit strategy.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

..and take pics for us.
CaptNaughty
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by CaptNaughty »

Thanks for the input. Will probally being going in two weeks. Will take plenty of picks as this will be my first official "urban exploration"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Take better ones than I did. I didn't take very good pictures that day.
CaptNaughty
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by CaptNaughty »

Awesome pics, I'll try and get some updated photos and post them. Does anybody know anything about the site I was talking about in my earlier post?
I remember about 8 years ago a place in SW St. Louis someone told me was a missile site also. It had concrete roads going under the streets or something. I just remember making a delivery and asking what the roads were for and they told me it was some sort of old military installation. Any info would be great! Thanks again.

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

There's a finite amount of missile sites in the area and there aren't any in Saint Louis city.

Can you be more specific on the location?

Could it have been the old ammunition plant on Goofellow? Its roof had horn like protrusions coming out of it and was visible from 70. But it's been demolished.

http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/index ... tion_plant
CaptNaughty
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by CaptNaughty »

I remember that place before it was demolished. This place was in the South western part of STL. Maybe somebody was just feedin me a line but all I knew at the time that it was strange for paved roads to no where, fenced in and no trespassing goverment signs sparked my interest. Damn wish I could remember where the hell that was at!
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Was it the place next to Carondolet Coke? The geospatial mapping place where the kid died by stepping on the hot power line..