National Candy Company Factory

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: National Candy Company Factory

Post by SubLunar »

Mandi Milenko wrote:Also I normally don't like graffiti but I must admit this was kind of cute. :D

As someone who's been an outspoken critic of graffiti over the years I would like to clarify my position:

This is the type of place to graffiti. It's an empty warehouse and the graffiti can give it character and sometimes it can be worth looking at. Whether the national candy company building, or Lever soap or similar, taggers can have at it. Doesn't bother me.

But places like St. Mary's ALREADY HAVE FUCKING CHARACTER. That building is someone ELSE's masterpiece. The fucking lame ass graffiti sprayed all over it doesn't impress anyone. We've been going there for years and could have vandalized it if we wanted to, but we didn't because we're not assholes and we appreciate the building and others like it.

I got no problem with graffiti as long as it's not fucking up an historic masterpiece of a building, whose history is deeply rooted in our fine city. I love STL and I love its old historic buildings. They can have the overpasses and the exteriors and the warehouses. Tag that shit up.

But for fuck's sake, leave our one of a kind historic buildings the fuck alone!

Also, I think it's sad that most graffiti artists can't even draw worth a shit. If you're gonna think of yourself as an "artist", learn some basic drawing skills. Make the shit worth looking at.
Mandi Milenko
Miz Mayhem
Miz Mayhem

Post by Mandi Milenko »

I totally agree. There have been a few people who I have taken with me to places that are all tagged up and I won't say anything if they pick up a can of spray paint laying around and tag something, but when I take those same people to other untagged places, I explain to them what is an acceptable place and what isn't. So far I have only had an issue with my brother one time. Most people get it.
jpstl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: National Candy Company Factory

Post by jpstl »

Well said... I'm still bitter about the altar at Beth...
EntropicDecay
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by EntropicDecay »

Checked out the Candy Company on Sunday. Some fellow explorers arrived as I was taking the last few pictures, otherwise the place was empty. Here are some of the pictures I took.

ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

cant you just hear the old machines running all the old workers doing there jobs its like a voice from the past

Our new faster quicker hurry hurry pace we live in SUCKS
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
nabyar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: National Candy Company Factory

Post by nabyar »

SubLunar wrote:
Mandi Milenko wrote:Also I normally don't like graffiti but I must admit this was kind of cute. :D

As someone who's been an outspoken critic of graffiti over the years I would like to clarify my position:

This is the type of place to graffiti. It's an empty warehouse and the graffiti can give it character and sometimes it can be worth looking at. Whether the national candy company building, or Lever soap or similar, taggers can have at it. Doesn't bother me.

But places like St. Mary's ALREADY HAVE FUCKING CHARACTER. That building is someone ELSE's masterpiece. The fucking lame ass graffiti sprayed all over it doesn't impress anyone. We've been going there for years and could have vandalized it if we wanted to, but we didn't because we're not assholes and we appreciate the building and others like it.

I got no problem with graffiti as long as it's not fucking up an historic masterpiece of a building, whose history is deeply rooted in our fine city. I love STL and I love its old historic buildings. They can have the overpasses and the exteriors and the warehouses. Tag that shit up.

Also, I think it's sad that most graffiti artists can't even draw worth a shit. If you're gonna think of yourself as an "artist", learn some basic drawing skills. Make the shit worth looking at.
Well said.

As someone who loves graffiti/street art, I couldn't agree anymore.
The Count
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by The Count »

Yeh haha I went there a couple years ago and got shot at 5 times when I was in that building, I'm like oh fuck and got the fuck out of there, we were on like the 6th floor at the time.

I got on the roof, very top roof and climbed the flag pole haha.
theyulelog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by theyulelog »

The Count wrote:Yeh haha I went there a couple years ago and got shot at 5 times when I was in that building, I'm like oh fuck and got the fuck out of there, we were on like the 6th floor at the time.

Your response to being shot at was to climb the roof? Crazy ass. Urbex-ers have a special kind of balls haha.
cdevon1200
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cdevon1200 »

The Count wrote:Yeh haha I went there a couple years ago and got shot at 5 times when I was in that building, I'm like oh fuck and got the fuck out of there, we were on like the 6th floor at the time.

mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

This place has some excellent views from the roof, but is otherwise pretty plain.

Preservation over plunder.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Forgot picture from said roof.

cdevon1200
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cdevon1200 »

damn flag football tourney foiled my attempts today. but... there was plenty of cute girls to look at,,,
leave nothing but beer cans, take nothing but selfies.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasDoor
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Post by archinstl »

Cool rooftop photo - the Arch is visible!
ccsucher
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by ccsucher »

I went there in 2012 with no problem, but this year I
i found the door welded shoot and new locks put on the back gate.

Later I spoke with a man that live behind it and acted like I didn't know anything and was told the building is owned by Charter School and he has been asked to watch the building. There is a hole in his fence that goes to the factory that his big ass Shepard goes through and guards the Candy factory loading dock. 8)
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CS-Photo ... 7629649444
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

We went in January and it was wide open.