Has anyone heard of Three Bears Cave in Anderson Mo?

Urban exploration in Missouri
kylekoontz86
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Has anyone heard of Three Bears Cave in Anderson Mo?

Post by kylekoontz86 »

Growing up i have been told of a cave in Anderson Mo. called Three Bears Cave which is located close to a Panther Cave. When you come up to the cave the mouth opens up and has multiple tunnels that lead in different directions! There is a story that I will share below about this cave it is all true and first hand experiences!

The story

When my dad and his sister were children their mom owned a waffle house in anderson and they often went to the town square area where a river runs and follow the river up stream. One day they found the cave i mentioned and went back to get flash lights and a couple friends to explore the cave. As they went through the cave they came to a very small passage that my dad was small enough to fit through and as he did it opened up into a large room with a lake in the middle and a peice of land in the middle of it with a all white half naked women indian statue holding a shield and spear. He told the group all about it as they walked back to the waffle house when they sat down at the table a man in a blue pick up truck pulled in and came in and bought a pack of cigs from the machine and walked over to the table and told the group "We know you were in the cave stay away or we will kill you" this scared them and they told their mother who told thm if he ever came back to the resturant to let her know. a few weeks later they went back to the cave not heading the warning and when they came to the room with the statue the statue wasnt there this time. they then again went back to the restuarant and the man showed up walked to the table and said this is your last warning if you ever return we will kill you! they yelled for their mother who came running at this time the man took off in his truck and left. about 6 months later they decided to try one more time to see if the staute was there and to try and get pictures of it when they arrived the statue was there again and they took 3 pictures but non came out clearly. as they exited the cave the man was at the entrance with 4 other men with bats and chains my dad and his sister took off running and my aunts boyfriend of the time tried to but fell and they beat him to death. when they got home they found their house broken into and trashed with a message written on the wall saying " leave town tonight and never return." they did so but not before speaking with the police who supposivly did a investagtion but never found anything out.

As a adult i did research lloking for the cave and stories about it when i came across a book written in the late 1800s of the exploration of Mo. In it the book says they came to a cave with a large mouth and many tunnles and it give the longatuie and latitude when put into gogle earth it is in anderson mo area. A few chapters later the writter says we have explored this place and if you value your life do not look for it as it is guarded! I can not find this book now to find the location but if anyone has any information please let me know!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Has anyone heard of Three Bears Cave in Anderson Mo?

Post by SubLunar »

As much as I love stories about caves and children being beaten to death, I have to say this story sounds like 90% fiction.

If, for example, someone was really killed then it would be pretty easy to trace the killers back to the cave and its caretakers. And who goes moving statues around in caves? Having slept in such conditions, I can tell you it's hard enough just moving coolers and sleeping bags around.

The internet doesn't seem to know about any caves in Anderson and having never been there, neither do I. But the good news is that if there's anything to the story, then eventually someone might google the same thing and find this thread and comment on it.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

This sort of looks like it could be a cave entrance.
kylekoontz86
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kylekoontz86 »

Thanks I have been looking on google maps trying to follow the river that runs in the downtown square and follow it upstream untill finding a road/trail that leads right which should lead to the cave. But as of yet im having no luck I went asking around about it in 2005 and was able to track down the sheriff from when the events happened he was very old and retired and told me that i should not bother the city about such things and go home. Its all very strange. I have heard of cocaine being smuggled in in form of statues which would explain the guarding of it and why it would be there sometimes and then gone but once again this is all just theory
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

You also have to consider how far some youngin's could have traveled along a creek on foot. How old were they when this happened? The older they were the further they could have reasonably gone.

But honestly, I'd say that thing I pointed out is very likely an entrance to... something. And it's walking distance from the main part of town. Street view goes right by it and there's a no trespassing sign and it's overgrown looking. Perfect spot to investigate..

If I ever go down that way, I'll be sure to stop by.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Has anyone heard of Three Bears Cave in Anderson Mo?

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:This sort of looks like it could be a cave entrance.
Looks like a top soil "mine" to me.

The statue sounds like bs, the cave may exist, the guy may have existed, but was probably just a landowner than didn't want a bunch of hooligans on his property.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:

The statue sounds like bs, the cave may exist, the guy may have existed, but was probably just a landowner than didn't want a bunch of hooligans on his property.
I thought it looked like a mine as well, but people often call mines caves and with the way the rest of the facts in this story went, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was a mine after all.
kylekoontz86
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kylekoontz86 »

My dad was 14 and his sister 16 and thanks for the information!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:
Nicotti wrote:

I thought it looked like a mine as well, but people often call mines caves and with the way the rest of the facts in this story went, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was a mine after all.
No, I meant a cut into the hillside that they take top soil from, not an actual underground mine. I don't think there is an opening in the shadow.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:
SubLunar wrote:
Nicotti wrote: Looks like a top soil "mine" to me.

No, I meant a cut into the hillside that they take top soil from, not an actual underground mine. I don't think there is an opening in the shadow.
Eh, I don't know. if you look at all the different roads and various hardware scattered around, I'd think they would have made more progress than a tiny little chunk taken out. That stuff looks like it's been there a while. Also there are various ridges and cliff edges visible in the area. I put my money on that being an underground sort of mine. Specifically a child hating, virgin sacrificing, naked Native American worshiping religious/esoteric voodoo cult sort of underground mine.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

kylekoontz86 wrote:My dad was 14 and his sister 16 and thanks for the information!
No, thank you for the story. Even if it's far-fetched, it's a good conversation piece.
kylekoontz86
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kylekoontz86 »

yeah it is really out there i knew it would cause disbelief when i was writing it and have always questioned how much was true and how much was a family story passed down. the weirdest part of all of it was finding the book passage that had coordinates that when put into google earth took you right outside of Anderson but i can not find that book again as i forgot who wrote it
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Actually that county is crammed with caves, let me look around at some notes.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

So, I think SubLunar may be looking in the wrong direction. Panther Cave for one is to the south. So if it is even in the same direction of Panther Cave, it is to the south. There is a cave with 5000 feet of mapped passages and chambers called Polar Bear Cave, it is a mile past noel going downstream along the Elk River. Going downstream on Indian Creak, and then upstream on Elk River, you come up where it should be, but it'll be on the south side, to the left, not the right. And that is at least closer to the same direction one would have to go to get to Panther Cave. If you keep going down Elk River, you eventually get to where Panther Cave is, which is tiny and uninteresting apparently.
Last edited by RedRook on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

From the description of Polar Bear's Cave location, I would guess it should be right about here:
Map

It looks like a pretty neat area, this is a picture coming up along the road, my guess is if you drive down that road, you shouldn't miss it. It's suppose to have an entrance 8 feet wide and 6 feet high.
Attachments
Road.jpg