Mystery Building in St. Louis?

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Mystery Building in St. Louis?

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Okay, so, I've been exploring and photographing abandoned buildings for a little over 2 years now and I absolutely love it. I've done a lot of my exploring out of St. Louis, but recently have been venturing into the city. I've gone to Central, St. Augustine's, Cleveland, Carr, James Clemens Mansion, and other various buildings.

Recently, I've seen this building a ton on social media.

I've asked all of my local photography buddies if they've ever heard or seen the place and they said they haven't. I then asked a few other photographers about it, and they read my message and didn't respond, very respectful of them. I finally reached out to someone and he said, "All I can tell you is that it's in St. Louis." St. Louis is a big city and therefore, I'm completely stuck and have absolutely no hints or clues of where this building is, or what the building was in it's day. I'd never think it'd be this hard to find a place. It's kind of hard without a name or area.

If any of you guys know what this building is, or where it's at, please reply below, or private message me. It would be extremely appreciated and I'd be more than happy to trade some of my locations, if you don't already know of them. :)

Another note is that if you look at the picture, behind the building is another building. If anyone knows what that one is, I can probably find it. Thank you!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Mystery Building in St. Louis?

Post by SubLunar »

kokonutfreaks wrote:they read my message and didn't respond, very respectful of them.
First thing, when people I don't know ask me for location information, I generally ignore it. I even have a disclaimer on my blog that says "don't ask". Sometimes it takes a lot of hard work/research/hours put into just one location. I'll share some of the more well known, lower risk type of locations to help people out who are getting started, but so many people don't want to put in the work, they just want Instagram likes. It's not a disrespect thing, it's more of a way to keep good locations from getting wrecked by people who don't give a shit. Right now, we're pretty overrun with lame assholes who think it's cool to fuck places over just because they can and those mouthbreathing fucks can just eat our scraps for all I care. Fresh meat is guarded for a reason.
kokonutfreaks wrote:St. Louis is a big city and therefore, I'm completely stuck and have absolutely no hints or clues of where this building is, or what the building was in it's day.
The longer you spend out there the sooner you'll find that STL is on the small side as far as cities go. Between regular trips just driving around from one side to the other and google map surfing, it doesn't take long to become pretty familiar with things around here to the point you feel like you're just running around in circles after a while.
kokonutfreaks wrote:"All I can tell you is that it's in St. Louis."
I've spent my time lately researching things outside of STL, so I'm a little rusty on my roof-lines around here but so far this one is not immediately obvious. If there was a building like this in STL, of the type I suspect this to be, I would know about it*. Therefore, I'm inclined to say it's not in STL. There are clues which hint as to its former use and the footprint of the building in question should help identify it when google map surfing. The one in the background does seem familiar though, so it makes me a little less sure that it's not around here. If anything, it might be ESTL or on the outskirts somewhere. Kinda busy now but I'll dig around my research material and the googles and see if I can identify it.

I'd say I'm 75% sure that building is not around here.

*If it's a school, that would explain why I don't recognize it. I haven't explored any of the schools in the area because I specialize in other things. But I don't think this is a school building, either.
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Mystery Building in St. Louis?

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Thank you for your response. I can understand about not giving locations to people you don't know. I almost feel like the guy that messages me is lying about the location just to fuck around. If it is in St. Louis, I'd say I'd be on the east side too. To me it looks like it could of been a hospital, asylum, or maybe even a jail or school, like you said.

I still have no clue and still am not sure if the building is in St. Louis to begin with. Let me know if you find out anything after your research. :)
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

That's the thing. That building appears to be institutional. But I've already done searched that topic to death. Ain't no hospitals around here like that. Saint Mary's was the only thing that would have compared to this and this appears even bigger than St Mary's was. Not only that but it's old. A big ass old hospital like that would have been well known by now. I would say definitely not in STL if it wasn't for that building in the background. Something about it seems familiar.
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Yeah. that building in the background is the only thing leading me to believe it's in St. Louis because it looks like I've seen it before.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I would say it looks just like something 2 hours from St.Louis in Illinois, but that building in the background throws it off. So idk
aka "That Guy"
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I think I've seen this building in some Facebook posts before said to be in St. Louis as well, and I don't buy it.

A large institutional building like that would be very well known to the exploring community here.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Someone needs to image search the image and find the source.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

I'm very curious to where this is. So no one knows what the building in back is?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Nicotti wrote:Someone needs to image search the image and find the source.
I can't find anything, it must be privately shared out of tumblr.
Preservation over plunder.
Beelit1927
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Beelit1927 »

Found it! It's Kings Park Psychiatric Center, on Long Island. Kinda bummed that it isn't someplace a little closer. The campus has over 90 buildings.
Beelit1927
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Beelit1927 »

In case the pic doesn't post, there's a Proper People video where they explore the place. At 31:54, the view is the exact same.
Attachments
image.jpg
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Yea a quick google search revealed that building is in new york. So either that guy is stealing pics and doesn't know anything about where or what it is, or he is just dodging your question by sending you on a wild goose chase.
kokonutfreaks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by kokonutfreaks »

Dick said It's in St. Louis lmao. And Beelit, I follow you on Instagram haha.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Ah yes. We almost went there on our recent road trip actually. Just ended up doing other stuff instead. Like Harlem Valley, where we dodged 4 separate security patrols. I don't think even the locals are doing that one anymore..