Rocheport Cave

Urban exploration in Missouri
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Rocheport Cave

Post by BagHead727 »

You don't typically associate the word "abandoned" with caves, but this is the exception. The cave pictured was commercialized in the 1960s and closed in 1992 due to prolonged and excessive flooding. The cave had a particularly bad reputation for flooding, and the cave entrance would often turn to a stagnant lake. Flooding would also wash out the pathways and handrails inside the cave, rendering the passageways unsafe and too physically demanding for the casual tourist. After its final closure in 1992, several attempts have been made to gate the cave to ensure the health of its 33,000 swarming inhabitants (aka bats) and to eliminate vandalism. Each gate erected here has been washed away in flood events.

I was alone when I explored this and so I didn't get to go to the very back. The pathway was washed out a few hundred yards in and it got a bit too sketchy for me to do it alone.

aka "That Guy"
archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Rocheport Cave

Post by archinstl »

Bravo for your report - and perspicacity !!!
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Rocheport Cave

Post by mindwaave »

Sick!
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

fuck yeah
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Wow
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by StLouisGlobetrotter »

Sweet Christmas, that's gorgeous. I love the rock layers in the last picture, right where your light is.

I saw another thread from '12 about this same cave that mentioned wire fences and surveillance tapes, any updates on that or is it completely abandoned at this point?
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

It's all surrounded by chain link and barbed wire fences. Most signs warning of cameras are bullshit
aka "That Guy"
hedlight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by hedlight »

Awesome pictures! I had talked about going back there and checking it out myself sometime soon! I accessed the property from the Katy trail side, there is also a smaller cave back there that's somewhat hidden just off the trail.

Just a note, I have seen conservation agents there quite often while driving by, I live just down the road off Route K and their presence is the only thing that has kept me from going.

Just down the Katy, there is another huge cave just off the trail which I have explored quite a few times, and I have wondered if it's connected to the Rocheport entrance.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I've been wanting to head back to it as well. Let me know if you want to meet up and explore it.

And the Katy trail is the safest way to access it. maybe park near the big tree and bicycle to it. Last time I just rode my motorcycle down the trail... Pretty sure all the cyclists thought I was a douchebag for that.
aka "That Guy"
unsunganything
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Rocheport Cave

Post by unsunganything »

hedlight wrote: Just down the Katy, there is another huge cave just off the trail which I have explored quite a few times, and I have wondered if it's connected to the Rocheport entrance.
Are you talking about the Lewis and Clark cave that is right off of the trail, or is there another cave that I'm not aware of?
"Repent Kingdom, the end is near and it wont be silent" -The Chariot
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Pretty sure he's talking about Lewis and Clark Cave
aka "That Guy"
hedlight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by hedlight »

The huge cave I was talking about was Lewis and Clark. After looking at maps I don't believe it syncs up with Rocheport cave at all.

The smaller cave is on the left (coming from Rocheport to Columbia) inside the fenced in area. It has water coming out at the entrance and does not look fun to enter.

If either of you need references or want to explore local caves here hit me up, I've been in the process of making map of all the caves here in Columbia, some of which aren't real well known. I won't share the link on here since all the post about sharing locations/vandals and such.
lokiracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Rocheport Cave

Post by lokiracer »

hedlight wrote:the post about sharing locations/vandals and such.
Can you link me to that post? I think I missed it.

Here's my map, lots of caves: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gjkru ... sp=sharing
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

BagHead727 wrote:I've been wanting to head back to it as well. Let me know if you want to meet up and explore it.
Did you ever go back? I'd love to see this place if you're free some weekend.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Same here