Cherokee Cave

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Cheeks
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Cherokee Cave

Post by Cheeks »

Long-time lurker, first time poster here..

Has anyone been down into Cherokee Cave through the manhole located at the brewery complex? Wondering what kind of gear it would take to get down in there safely..
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: Cherokee Cave

Post by Whitepanther »

Glad to see a long time lurker jump in.

As far as the question of anyone being in the cave that’s a sore subject. I’ll ask someone else to fill in on being halfway into the cave before tragedy struck. It’s easy to get lost in details but this cave is not safe currently. It’s not off limits forever but that’s the honest story right now.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Cheeks wrote: Has anyone been down into Cherokee Cave through the manhole located at the brewery complex? Wondering what kind of gear it would take to get down in there safely..
I thought I responded to this before but to be very clear, you need more than just some gear to get down there and back out.

For one, the manhole is welded shut. Then, there's the rusty/jagged/cutoff spiral staircase to deal with all the way down. Then, there's getting back out, which would be much more difficult because you'd be working against gravity for 40 or so feet.

So you'd need the gear and the experience to use it safely, in addition to more upper body strength than most average people seem to have, along with an adventurous spirit that grants you the ability to stay calm and collected in difficult situations to not seriously hurt yourself navigating the dangerous obstacles previously mentioned. The vast majority of people, even if they had the necessary gear, simply couldn't make it in and out. I've seen seasoned explorers with years of experience struggle with much easier physical/mental demands than this.

Once upon a time, you could practically waltz right in. That was a long time ago now. Everything has changed in regards to that particular piece of property. Which is good and bad. Considering the flood of wanna be "influencers" and unscrupulous social media whores, I'd say it's a good thing the place is sealed up now.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

RE: Cherokee Cave

Post by the_p0ssum »

A tour from 1991 :!:
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Cherokee Cave

Post by Nicotti »

the_p0ssum wrote:A tour from 1991 :!:
Cool stuff.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by the_p0ssum »

The Max Freuerbacher Mansion is now for sale and has a "sub basement & supposed entrance to the Cherokee cave system" though it seems it's a long way from where we think of Cherokee Cave as being.