Re: English Cave Panoramic’s

Post by Whitepanther »

Thoughts?
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

In the first pic to the extreme right is what looks to be a ramp or pile of ruble from filling in a shaft. The drainage channel is interesting as well. In pic two is the remnants of an old barrel sitting under a pendant spring. Curious to hear if anyone can pick up on anything I missed. Thanks!
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

Sure looks like fill. What is the iron looking stuff in the first pic? Looks like it's stayed dry for the most part.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Whitepanther wrote:Thoughts?
HELL FUCKING YES.

Also, let's get in there.

That is all.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

I'm a miner, not a caver, but very nice work! That's definitely fallen material in the first photo, either manmade to seal off a vertical entrance or naturally-occurring from weak rock. I've encountered that type of collapse pattern in shale/clay seams in a mine I've done some sampling work in.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

Headframe Hunters wrote:I'm a miner, not a caver, but very nice work! That's definitely fallen material in the first photo, either manmade to seal off a vertical entrance or naturally-occurring from weak rock. I've encountered that type of collapse pattern in shale/clay seams in a mine I've done some sampling work in.
Thanks for this reply. You have a unique perspective that’s unlike anything I have to relate to. Especially when it comes to caving from the surface like this. Right now we’ve got 2 drill casings 2” in diameter to utilize for as much data collection as we can get. Don’t get me wrong I’m fortunate for what we do have but it’s tough to work with as well. If there’s any kind of trade specific equipment or tools you can think of that we might not have considered before please feel free to say them here or PM me please. Thanks again.
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Whitepanther wrote:
Headframe Hunters wrote:I'm a miner, not a caver, but very nice work! That's definitely fallen material in the first photo, either manmade to seal off a vertical entrance or naturally-occurring from weak rock. I've encountered that type of collapse pattern in shale/clay seams in a mine I've done some sampling work in.
Thanks for this reply. You have a unique perspective that’s unlike anything I have to relate to. Especially when it comes to caving from the surface like this. Right now we’ve got 2 drill casings 2” in diameter to utilize for as much data collection as we can get. Don’t get me wrong I’m fortunate for what we do have but it’s tough to work with as well. If there’s any kind of trade specific equipment or tools you can think of that we might not have considered before please feel free to say them here or PM me please. Thanks again.
No problem. I just replied to your PM.

I'd consider checking the cave's atmosphere. There are purpose-built confined-space kits for gas meters that use an electric air pump and collection tube, though I'm unsure if they're suited to the depth of the cave. Main thing I'd be looking for is oxygen deficiency, followed by methane. Rusting metal and rotting wood consumes oxygen, and this is exacerbated by wet environments.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/