Introducing myself

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Cowracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Introducing myself

Post by Cowracer »

I cant belive that there are other people facinated about old abanoned places like I am. I thought I was one of a kind.

I have been to a few places I have not seen listed here. One was known as the Abundance Wherehouse near the Bevo Mill. It was a factory that some non-profit org took over. They only used a couple of rooms, but there was plenty of rooms and equipment left as it was on the last day people worked there. Even found a few (formerly) full coffee cups (ewwww)

I got a full days access to the unused parts of the Welch baby carraige factory. Not so much stuff, but some neat ancient elevator equipment.

I have also been to the PPG sand mines in Crystal City, and the closed Doe Run Smelter in Glover, MO. I will actually be going back down to Glover this friday and will try to snap some pictures.

I would be interested in meeting up with someone who knows where all the good stuff is. What I would really love to find is an old factory to have an industrial paintball game in. Any ideas?

Tim
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

RE: Introducing myself

Post by Chris »

I'd be glad to meet up with you and I'm sure some of the other people I explore with would, too.

I haven't heard of the place by Bevo, sounds kind of cool.

Playing paintball in an abandonment is kind of against the cardinal rule of urban exploration. Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures. It's one thing if you grab a brick laying on the ground or something like that, but playing paintball there would definatly be pushing it for most places. On the other hand, from the looks of it, Carondelet Coke has played host to a number of 'underground' paintball games, as well as is a haven for taggers, bums, and car theives. I don't see how a simple game of paintball would hurt anything there...
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Well spoken, Chris! Welcome to UO (and especially welcome to the St. Louis forum. We totally rule!).

I agree with Chris on not spoiling beautful abandonments or defacing them in any way, but it is true that Cardondelet has been used in that way before (and the colors aren't uninteresting). I'd be more worried about running into a sharp pointy spear of metal or something.

Or Coyotes!
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Also, how and why do you race cows?
Cowracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cowracer »

OK,

Cardinal rule noted. <sigh> I know its impractical as hell, and someone would probably break an ankle, but I just love the thought if it. I guess I will just have to keep playing paintball in the woods.

I believe the warehouse near bevo is now closed and boarded up. its on Bingham near Jessica. Its been years since I have been there

And I did race a cow. I ran a sportsman class dirt track car at I-55 raceways in pevely a few years ago. I had it painted up like a cow as a joke and I liked it, so I kept the colors.

Tim
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

I use to love to play paintball...it was probably my favorite hobby for quite some time. It started to change and I kind of stopped caring for it. I miss when the game was more about strategy, steath, timing, and movement than hiding in your bright red jumpsuit behind an oversized pool toy on a tiny symmetrical field, with a metric buttload of paint on you, spraying 400 rounds at anything that moves, no matter how poor your chances of hitting it!

A game at Carondelet could easily be the most fun you could have with a paintball gun if done right.

Or we could play airsoft, they don't even leave a mark. Of course you better hope the cops don't come by when you're running around in cammies with an AK-47!
Cowracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cowracer »

Hell chris, come down and play with us!

We play in the woods down south near Festus. We use some land beloning to ABB, but seeing how I play with a bunch of deputies, nobody give us crap. (I shoot cops in the woods, and I dont go to jail, how cool is that?)

Our website is www.jeffcopaintball.4t.com We hate 'speedballers and space guns"

I can even set up with some equipment if you dont have any. Contact me on the forum there, same handle.

Tim
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Holy crap, dude! Thanks! I'll have to check you guys out.

Looks like I'll be needing a new barrel for my old SL-68II afterall.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: Introducing myself

Post by White Rabbit »

I've also always wanted to play paintball in a big abandoned building, even though it would totally deface the thing.

What they need is to come up with some sort of clear paintballs. Because the shells of the paintballs aren't really a big deal, since they're pretty much biodegradable. Granted, you'd have to trust the other guys not to lie when they get shot, but that'd be a small price to pay.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Instead of color, use odor. Something really foul.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
&#8213; Ken Ham
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Again guys...airsoft...the BBs are biodegradable, carry less muzzle energy than paintballs (therefore less inclined to damage things from the force of impact), and of course leave no mark. Of course you're playing on the honor system.
Cowracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cowracer »

White Rabbit wrote:I've also always wanted to play paintball in a big abandoned building, even though it would totally deface the thing.

What they need is to come up with some sort of clear paintballs. Because the shells of the paintballs aren't really a big deal, since they're pretty much biodegradable. Granted, you'd have to trust the other guys not to lie when they get shot, but that'd be a small price to pay.

FYI,

Paintballs contain no paint. They have a water soluable vegtable oil with a dye like food color. They are non-staining on most surfaces. They taste like crap, but are non-toxic (note to self: Cinammon Paintballs? Hmmm....Could be huge!)

I shot the stop sign outside my house. I actually covered in pink ooze testing an Auto Trigger setup.

A couple of days later, there was virtually no trace of the 'paint'.

We are planning a big game on the 26th of March, if you want in. BYO balls and gun. We will have CO2 for tank fills for a nominal charge (a buck or so)

Ya'all invited. I can probably scrape up some extra guns and equipment for those of you who would like to try it out, but dont want to buy anything until you try it.

Tim
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Cowracer wrote:FYI,

Paintballs contain no paint. They have a water soluable vegtable oil with a dye like food color. They are non-staining on most surfaces. They taste like crap, but are non-toxic (note to self: Cinammon Paintballs? Hmmm....Could be huge!)

I shot the stop sign outside my house. I actually covered in pink ooze testing an Auto Trigger setup.

A couple of days later, there was virtually no trace of the 'paint'.
Actually, I've done that before, too, although to several of my friends' cars. And the paint didn't last long.

My question always was, how long would the paint last on a surface inside an abandoned building where there's no rain to wash it off?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I have fired paint balls in a building that was pretty much closed and went back a week or so and you could see where it had been but it was pretty much gone kinda slimes into its self adn dries up
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead