Hotelling

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Shaduan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Hotelling

Post by Shaduan »

I did a bit of exploring this afternoon in some hotels I see every day on my way to work. My main goal was to see if I could rooftop any of them (no joy, the one in the Holiday Inn was padlocked and the other in the Best Western had a weird grate over the access ladder that I wasn't sure how to move) but I did pick up something that's probably old hat to the rest of you.

Some larger hotels have a rack by the front desk with pamphlets advertising local attractions for tourists or people planning to move. Even if you're not staying at the hotel, if you have one of these flyers other guests will assume you are - instant credibility prop. I used that to my advantage in the Best Western, as the elevator was right by the front desk and there was a security guard there. I wanted to have a "just in case" reason for being there...

By chance, while I was on the fourth floor I was standing by the elevators looking through the leaflet on Meramec Caverns and a nice older gentleman struck up a convo with me about the caverns. we chatted as I rode down on the elevator with him and through the lobby. To the outside observer I probably looked like I was visiting him, and we parted ways outside.

On a related note, can innocent bystanders (like me fellow tourist) be considered credibility props?
CasperMilkToast
Bearer of Man-Thong
Bearer of Man-Thong

Re: Hotelling

Post by CasperMilkToast »

I would say that a complete stranger could be a 'credibility prop' as you but it. But I think just as long as your not looking out of the corner of your eye as you walk past the security guard that you would be ok. If your 'supposed' to be there you wouldn't even notice the guy standing there. If you were eyeballing the guard would think something was amiss. That is as long as your leaving an area that dosen't require some type of ID badge to access.

Think of it as passing a cop while your driving, if you pay him no attention (even if your guilty as hell for something) your chances are alot better of getting away. If you watch him and turn your head towards him to see if he is going to follow you, he probably will.

Security guards are used to being props on their own. If you watch most people in buildings that have a security guard in there, people just walk right by them w/o paying attention to them. Most of the time they are either too busy reading, chatting or watching the tube to care whats going on.
The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time. - Robin Williams
Slim Jim
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Hotelling

Post by Slim Jim »

I used to wander around hotels for fun even back in elementary school. They're typically so easy to infiltrate it's hard to call them UE if you stay in the public areas. Ditto with colleges and universities. Except for the off spaces like the roof. Downtown hotels are probably a little harder. I've heard of people sneaking into hotels to use their pools, although personally I haven't done that yet.
Moo.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: RE: Hotelling

Post by White Rabbit »

Slim Jim wrote:I've heard of people sneaking into hotels to use their pools, although personally I haven't done that yet.
I have! Just once, but it was a blast.

I love wandering through hotels and poking around the places you're not supposed to be. I have a hard time getting people (besides Hiccup) to do it with me, though.