Brewery #10

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Brewery #10

Post by SubLunar »

Once I started going through my pictures, I realized two things.

1. I haven't been back to this, my favorite place in STL, since 2-14-08. What the hell!?

2. Most of my pictures of it suck. Last time I went was right after I got a dslr and I didn't really know how to use it yet.

In other words I will be going back soon.

Favorite pics so far:

Before (5-22-07):

After (7-4-07):

Before (11-20-07):

Thankfully, I did swipe a bunch of these:
After (2-14-08):

I guess that's enough for now...
Last edited by SubLunar on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Re: Brewery #10

Post by redox »

I love that place. Nice shots
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Jamesw
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Jamesw »

I found out tonight they fixed our ultra easy entrance.... GAY!!!
-2008 St.Mary's Championship longest drive winner-
White Rabbit wrote:Funniest part: I actually had to stand up on my tippy-toes to remove myself from the pipe..
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

does anyboy ever look at these pics and just think in your mind what it looked like in ITS DAY all the workers going here and there the machines running the noise the smells??? is it just me?????
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

ropingk wrote:does anyboy ever look at these pics and just think in your mind what it looked like in ITS DAY all the workers going here and there the machines running the noise the smells??? is it just me?????
It's not you. I want to buy that place and start brewing there again.. and I don't even like beer!
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

I hear ya I just would love to be able to see it when it was fully running ,
all the people walking around ,the noise of the machines, the old steam leaking every place.
have to admitt it would be so cool to just see it was it once was no rust no crumbling bricks no graffiti just honest hard working people ok Ill quit for now :oops:
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Brewery #10

Post by paul06660 »

Looks to me like there is a friggin fortune of copper in that place. From that stairway to the door frames and shit. If it was truly abandoned Id say go for it, there is prolly at least a ton in that stairway alone. :twisted:

Oh nevermind, a closer look at ur pix revealed it is just nasty peeling paint that makes it look like copper rust everywhere.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
tunajive
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: RE: Brewery #10

Post by tunajive »

paul06660 wrote:Looks to me like there is a friggin fortune of copper in that place. From that stairway to the door frames and shit. If it was truly abandoned Id say go for it, there is prolly at least a ton in that stairway alone. :twisted:

Oh nevermind, a closer look at ur pix revealed it is just nasty peeling paint that makes it look like copper rust everywhere.
Regardless, the price of copper is not what it used to be. The price has dropped significantly making it worth quite a bit less then it was a couple years ago.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I wasn't gonna bump this thread just for a correction, but I have been back since 2-14. It was during the August meet-up, so I lied!
ericp33
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ericp33 »

Anyone know how to get into #10? I would love a tour, legal one preferred, but any tour would be cool. Ever since I viewed the pics on this site, it has become an obsession of mine to tour this place. Anyone know someone that can give a tour? Thanks in advance!
ericp33
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ericp33 »

PS- Can anyone tell me what year #10 opened and what year it closed for good? I know it is for sale, but what is the machinery doing there? I wonder if they are doing some of the preconstruction, so the buyer does not have to. I doubt it, considering they don't even seal the building from the elements. Very sad to see such a great & historic building rotting away in such a great location.

Thanks in advance!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

SubLunar wrote:This location was originally home to Wm. Stumpf's Brewery, and was constructed in 1853. The name Stumpf remained throughout various partnerships and acquisitions until 1877 when the short-lived Thamer Brewing Company took over. Two years later, Anton Griesedieck came into the picture, but ownership would revolve around between The Miller Bros, The Saint Louis Brewing Association and the Consumers Brewing Company before finally returning to the Griesedieck Bros.

In 1920, Joseph Griesedieck approached his good friend William J. Lemp II, of the now infamous Lemp Brewing Company with his offer to buy the rights to the Falstaff name as well as the familiar shield logo. He managed to work out a deal with Lemp to brew his famous Falstaff beer at this facility. Under Griesedieck control, the company continued to thrive-even enduring beyond prohibition-until 1957 when it became The Falstaff Brewing Company.
After a slow decline, accelerated by the new owner Paul Kalmanovitz, #10 closed in November, 1977.

See also Falstaff History
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Brewery 10 produced the 7 millionth barrel of beer:

Random Falstaff image:

The "snow" was apparently crushed ice that they sprayed on everything with a large blower.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

That second picture is outside the long-gone museum, right?
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by Whitepanther »

When I was in high school I worked in Joe Griesidieck’s basement once. So obviously I’m bragging right, hardly. My dumbass literally had no idea who this guy was or why he had gold leafed beer bottle wallpaper and I’m kicking myself today for not being able to have asked his wife or his son (who we knew already) the type of questions I’d love to have the chance to ask them now. What made me think of this story is the basement shrine might have come from the closed museum, it was pretty elaborate.