Rolla, MO??

Urban exploration in Missouri
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Re: Rolla, MO??

Post by Eagle90 »

A tank? What kind of tank? M4, M24, M47, M48, M41, M3/5? Or was it a 113 or something?
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by Nicotti »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:I've found that once you get into the back area with the trucks, you're golden. Literally golden. Literally. For realz.
Sure are a lot of magical gold producing properties in that general area... must be something in the water.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere, especially in Missouri

Post by PANIC! on the Titanic »

PANIC! on the Titanic wrote:Alright, this weekend I did a little archaeological excursion. Earlier this year, I read a story of the only Phelps county hanging by court order, which is a fascinating story even if you aren't too into local history.

I ran into this while researching a cave in the area...
This cave I mentioned previously had a good role in this city's history. First being host to aboriginal peoples back in the day, then being the venue for luncheons as in the story posted above where Bohannon basically shot a kid for poking at him at said luncheon in the 19th century. Then it was a mushroom farm at an unspecified time. Well today, I finally paid this piece of local history a visit (I am pointing to it, in case you can't find it right away):

An excellent cave, the first couple hundred feet of the entrance are being dug up, and there was a large seive on one of several mounds of dug up earth. Next to it was a bucket, in which I found several very old antler pieces, an antler tool which I'd personally use as a hide scraper, and a flint chip from some long past arrowhead making session. We were able to go right around 1000 feet back where it terminated just after a nice little waterfall.

All in all, a good day.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Awesome!
Preservation over plunder.
Eagle90
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by Eagle90 »

This is in/around Rolla? Where is it?
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

This is in the National Forest almost to Doolittle actually. To get there, take the rr tracks west about 7 miles, then head north 2 miles through the forest. It's quite the hike.
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by torik »

This entire thread was a fun read. I'll have to see what all I can find in this town.
PANIC! on the Titanic
Titanic Penis
Titanic Penis

Torik pointed out that I have a few pics with broken links, so I'm reposting to fix it up
PANIC! on the Titanic wrote: This cave I mentioned previously had a good role in this city's history. First being host to aboriginal peoples back in the day, then being the venue for luncheons as in the story posted above where Bohannon basically shot a kid for poking at him at said luncheon in the 19th century. Then it was a mushroom farm at an unspecified time. Well today, I finally paid this piece of local history a visit (I am pointing to it, in case you can't find it right away):

An excellent cave, the first couple hundred feet of the entrance are being dug up, and there was a large seive on one of several mounds of dug up earth. Next to it was a bucket, in which I found several very old antler pieces, an antler tool which I'd personally use as a hide scraper, and a flint chip from some long past arrowhead making session. We were able to go right around 1000 feet back where it terminated just after a nice little waterfall.

All in all, a good day.
Here's the cave pic:
Panic! wrote:This is an old style structure, probably turn of the century, I'd estimate due to the style of cabin. My guess is it's an old ticket booth or something, I have no idea for sure though.
Here's the cabin structure:
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by torik »

Thanks for reposting the photos! Good stuff. I'm impressed by your researching/homework skills on these sites.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

torik wrote:I'm impressed by your researching/homework skills on these sites.
He's pretty good at that. You new to Rolla or just to the forum?
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by torik »

mindwaave wrote:You new to Rolla or just to the forum?
Just to the forum. I've been here for a number of years, broke my face on a lamp post, went spelunking in the steam shafts once, and legally made it onto the roof of TJ. I'll be here another few years, so I hope to see around the place. PANIC knows who I am, apparently.

Are you still in Rolla, or have you migrated to StL for the summer?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

I know who you are too lol, I went up on TJ roof with you that once (if you're referring to a certain transmitter upgrade, that is). I'm in StL, but will visit Rolla before school starts back up, so we three should hang out.

TJ was fun.
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by torik »

mindwaave wrote:I know who you are too lol, I went up on TJ roof with you that once (if you're referring to a certain transmitter upgrade, that is). I'm in StL, but will visit Rolla before school starts back up, so we three should hang out.

TJ was fun.
Yup, now I know who you are. That was a fun time! Panic took me exploring a few days ago. We're probably going to do something again once I have some more free time.
torik
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Rolla, MO??

Post by torik »

I took a picture of PANIC's butt.

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

torik wrote:I took a picture of PANIC's butt.
Who hasn't?