Teen trapped in cave

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Johnson
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Teen trapped in cave

Post by Johnson »

Just heard on the news that a teenager was trapped in Rockhouse Cave in Cassville. Was just wondering if it was anyone on here or if anyone know the kid that got trapped.
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

RE: Teen trapped in cave

Post by slow_walker »

Where is the cave at exactly? I have never heard of one in that area by that name so I am wondering if I've always called it a different name or I somehow have just never heard of it.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Teen trapped in cave

Post by BROUSER »

It's in the paper today.
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /604190339

I think it sucks, they will probably have to discontinue the trips now.

Edit: video footage
http://www.ky3.com/news/2653066.html
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

okay, thanks brouser. For some reason my parents always called that Mineral Springs cave.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I've heard of Rock House Cave... isn't it in the Mark Twain Natl. Forest? (too lazy to click on the article)
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Yep, I did some searches, and not surprisingly enough, there are several Rockhouse Caves in Missouri alone. It's almost as common a name as Bear Cave or Saltpeter Cave.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

My question is, Why couldn't they just pull him out of the hole? It took a few hours to get that kid out, which I thought was absolutely rediculous!
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

The news report said it was a 40 minute trip in, walking and climbing. I'm sure it was a lot of fun trying to get him out on a backboard, trying not to jar him. If the little klutz comes out paralyzed for life, you know that his parents are sueing the school, the rescuers, the ambulance, the cave owners.
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, no one will ever set foot in that cave again. Way to go, klutz.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
flyfisherman_46
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Teen trapped in cave

Post by flyfisherman_46 »

Well to be honest we probably all have had some oh shit happening when exploring. that one reason you should never go alone. Also helps to take a good first aid course not just for exploring but handy other times too.
I know I have the benifits of wisdom now but I never go anyhwere without the proper equipment needed for what I'm doing. It just gets me to hear people still getting lost/stuck whatever GPS units are pretty reasonable now and just taking a few precautions can save alot of time if something would go wrong.
Oh well just my 2 cents worth
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

RaccoonCC wrote:My question is, Why couldn't they just pull him out of the hole? It took a few hours to get that kid out, which I thought was absolutely rediculous!
Since the boy couldn't feel his legs I think they were worried about a broken back. Whenever you think someone might be in that situation their body can't be moved at all which means trasportation would be quite hard.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Yeah, I didn't mean to be too hard on the kid. This totally sounds like a situation I would get myself into. The difference is I have sense enough never go to exploring by myself.

Well... almost never :)
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Underdog wrote:Since the boy couldn't feel his legs I think they were worried about a broken back. Whenever you think someone might be in that situation their body can't be moved at all which means trasportation would be quite hard.
Well... there are exceptions. For example, if the spinal patient is in immediate, life threatening, danger (Low oxygen levels, rising water, risk of fire/explosion, etc.) they should be moved as gently as possible to a safer area. Also if the suspected spinal injury patient is blocking access to a more critically injured patient, they should be moved (once again as gently as possible) just enough to get access.

Just as a side note, carrying someone out of a cave is a tremendous pain-in-the-ass.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
ShadowBearer
Stubbles
Stubbles

Post by ShadowBearer »

That is the reason we keep gimpface around.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I knew there had to be one. I thought it was for his stunning good looks and sparkling personality.
― Ken Ham